I have a short upper lip that does not rest closed naturally? (Photos)

My upper lip arches up, preventing my mouth from resting closed. I have to consciously force my mouth closed, which often causes my lower lip to rise up to meet the upper lip, and dimpling/ buttoning my chin.I'm very self-conscious about my lips, and would like to know what the best procedure to correct the problem would be, and roughly how much it would cost to have done.

Doctor Answers 1

Fat grafting or dermal filler to the lip

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
The  main issue with your upper lips is that it lacks volume. There are a couple ways to address this. One is with the use of dermal fillers, such as Restylane or Juvederm. These contain hyaluronic acid which naturally volumizes the area it is injected. This is temporary and lasts about 9-12 months. The other option is structural fat grafting where fat is taken from either the abdomen, thigh, or buttock and placed within the lip. This can provide a potentially longer lasting result. Both area reasonable options but the dermal filler has less of a recovery associated with it. Hope this helps!

Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.