Had 2nd set of breast implants March 3rd 2016. Black hole in the incision that is leaking clear fluid. (photo)

my right implant has been achy on and off.. Saturday I woke up, in a lot of pain.implant was swollen and hot to touch I had a low grade fever 100.4 I looked at my scar there was a small black hole that was leaking clear fluid ..went to ps today who put me on AB today it's leaking much more...I also feel kind of drained and I can not get enough sleep..( not normal for me) I'm scared and don't know what this could be..it seems to hurt more daily ..now my ribs front and back are sore?

Implant and fluid draining

Fever, and fluid suggest possible infection. This might lead to requiring your implant to be removed.  Best to follow closely with your surgeon.

Breast implant infection ?

Dear Nicole,    Thanks for submitting your picture and sorry for your problem. From observing your picture, you do not appear to have flagrant infection (no visible redness ) and I can see the clear fluid , as oppose to pus. I wonder if you had noticed increased hardening of the breast through out the healing period since 3/16. It sounds more like severe capsule contracture due to 'Biofilm' , which requires capsulectomy (excision of scar) and replacement of implant. The fever is worry some and might require removal of the implant and drainage.    You have to be seen by your surgeon (hopefully , experienced board certified plastic surgeon) who will have to follow you up closely and make some important decisions.                          All the best,                                                Dr Widder 

You may have an infection and need to be seen by your surgeon today. If you do not quickly respond to antibiotics, the implant may need to be removed. The black spot you are seeing could be your implant.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Leaking around breast incision

Sorry that you are having problems.  I would recommend you going back to see your surgeon.  It could the black spot you are seeing is your implant.   Best wishes.  

Jon E. Rast, MD
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

Implant infection

You should see your PS right away.  It is possible that you have a breast infection.  A black could mean that you are seeing the implant through the incision.  These are all signs that need to be checked out.

Christopher Costanzo, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

If an absorbable suture is spitting (inflammatory process around a suture causing it to abscess and work its way to surface), the remnant suture is pulled out and clears up quickly with topical and oral antibiotics.If copious amounts of clear fluid, tenderness, and swelling of breast, infection of the implant has to be ruled out.  This is a medical emergency until proven otherwise.  If there is a direct connection between the wound and the implant it is prudent to remove the implant, culture the drainage, and treat the infection, before attempting re-implantation.  Some surgeons will attempt to salvage the implant with antibiotics, which sometimes works.  However if the infection does not respond breast tissue, skin, or nipples can be lost, which can be irreparable.  Removal of suspected or proven infected implants is inconvenient, but the safest option.  The infection usually improves rapidly when the implant is removed.  There is a higher incidence of recurrent infection when infections are treated conservatively in our 34 year experience.

Luis Villar, MD, FACS