Maxillofacial Surgery/orthopedic Device To Correct Size of Chin?

Do you think that an orthognathic surgery given for prognathism (lower jaw)can be easily "collapse" after some years?Also can someone wear an orthopedic device after 18 years old or after a surgery to correct the size of his/her chin in a better way?

Doctor Answers 1

Maxillofacial Surgery for Prognathism

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

It is unclear to me whether you have already undergone surgery or just now considering it. It is important to address both function (dental occlusion) and appearance (facial balance). An oral surgeon can best advise you after a consultation and exam. I do not expect post-operative collapse, and I doubt a traction device will help  after 18 years.

Good luck!

Austin Plastic Surgeon
4.0 out of 5 stars 19 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.