Maxillofacial Surgeon Vs a Plastic Surgeon to Inject Restylane in Under Eye Hollow?

I don't have terrible hollows under my eyes, but I have enough to where it bothers me, and makes me look tired. I found a Maxillofacial Surgeon that injects Restylane, since he does surgery of the face, I feel like he would be the best dr. to inject. However I'm confused whether a dermatologist or plastic surgeon would be better? I just don't want to do more harm than good! I am very nervous about "ruining" my face.. Please help advise me! Thanks!

Doctor Answers 12

Eye Hollow Restylane

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Training and technique is more important than specialty when it comes to picking a doctor to do Restylane under the eye.  Dermatologists, Oculoplastic Surgeons, Plastic Surgeons and Maxillofacial/ENT Surgeons are all specialties that are generally well trained in the injection techniques.  Ask the question to the physician of how many patients he or she treats in the same area, and choose an M.D., not nurse or technician to do the procedure.  Read website information about the physician's training.   Good luck.


Boston Dermatologic Surgeon

Maxilofacial or Plastic Surgeon for injections under eyes?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Either of these doctors may be qualified to inject in this area. Both know the anatomy but it depends on whether or not they have the experience to do it well.

Other doctors that do a lot of these injections and know the anatomy are dermatologists and oculoplastic surgeons.

Whenver you consider an injection, find a doctor that knows what they are doing and has the background to inject well.

Kenneth Beer, MD
Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Restylane - Maxillofacial Surgeon Vs a Plastic Surgeon to Inject Restylane in Under Eye Hollow?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

What's in a name?....

The fact is that there are many different types of doctors who can reasonably claim the expertise and experience to perform this type of procedure.   That may not be the case for breast implants and reductions, abdominal surgery and hip replacements but if you're talking about injecting substances into the face then, at least in theory, many doctors, from many different backgrounds, are theoretically capable of providing treatment.

More to the point, though, is the knowledge and expertise of the individual doctor in question.  The background and training guarantee neither the ability nor the result.  Some of the most highly trained physicians in any given specialty may not be able to provide the best results for a given procedure within that specialty.

And so it is with this - either background should be adequate (but also include facial plastic surgeons, dermatologists, ophthalmologic surgeons, etc).  How comfortable are you in the ABILITY of the doctor?  In the end, that's the issue for a procedure such as this.

In sum, I would not make this decision based on background training and board-certification (ie, which board) alone.  Those may be prerequisites, but they should not necessarily be sole determining factors.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Either Doctor can Inject Under the Eyes

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

You should be fine with any of those doctors injecting under the eyes, providing they are experienced at doing it.  In some areas of medicine more than one specialist is trained to handle certain problems.  This is one of those areas. 

Lisa Benest, MD
Burbank Dermatologist

Restylane injections under the eyes

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I would recommend visiting with a Board certified facial plastic surgeon.  This is an area that requires a meticulous technique from someone with detailed understanding of the area in question.  A maxillofacial surgeon is not truly qualified for this procedure.  Make sure that the Doctor has a healthy experience in this region and that he would be the one performing the procedure and not a nurse or assistant.  Juvederm also tends to be a better option in this area as it is smoother and more fluid and the likelihood of lumpiness in my experience is non existent.  Good luck and be well.  Dr. Shep

Shepherd G. Pryor, MD
Scottsdale Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 23 reviews

Plastic Surgeon

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

A plastic surgeon is usually going to have far more experience with cosmetic improvements of the

face, whether it is with surgery or with injectable fillers such as Restylane.  They both know the

anatomy.  The techniques are very, very important.  Experience is very,very important.

Ask how much experience the surgeon has.  Also ask about any complications.  That should help

you decide.

E. Anthony Musarra II, MD
Atlanta Plastic Surgeon

Do some research and find a dermatologist or plastic surgeon that has done 100's of injections in lower eyelid tear troughs.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

It is important to do your research and find a dermatologist or plastic surgeon that specializes in cosmetic injections in the tear trough area and has treated 100's of patients.  This is a tricky area to inject and requires a specialist with technical and artistic skills.  Check around and ask a bunch of people whom you trust.  Do go to docotors who are practicing outside of their core specialty or medispas that do no have a specialist on site at all times.

Mark Taylor, MD
Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon
4.2 out of 5 stars 18 reviews

Under eye Restylane is an off-label advanced technique.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

These aesthetic services are arguably best performed by core physicians and surgeons.  This includes dermatologist, oculoplastic surgeons, facial plastic surgeons and general plastic surgeons.  It is certainly possible that a maxillofacial surgeon ( a dentist who has completed a residency in maxillofacial surgery) will include non-surgical treatments such as restylane and BOTOX in their practice.  They may be excellent at these services.  As with any specialist, it is worth determining if the service you are interested is an important focus of their practice.  Is this dentist prepared to adjust your service with enzymes if you have any lumps and bumps.  Chemistry of confidence is an important consideration.

Kenneth D. Steinsapir, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 26 reviews

Dermatologist or Plastic Surgeon... which is better?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Patients often have this question when considering aesthetic procedures like botox, fillers, laser treatments, and scar revision. Because there is much overlap in the expertise of dermatologists and plastic surgeons, it may  be difficult to decide which type of physician is best. In truth, both types of physicians can be great for these procedures (fillers like Restylane), but specialty alone is no guarantee. The following guidelines may help:

1. Training matters - always choose a board certified dermatologist, plastic surgeon, facial plastic surgeon, or oculoplastic surgeon. While board certification doesn't guarantee great results, you're more likely to experience poor results with physicians who aren't board certified in these specialties simply because they didn't have the appropriate training (urologists, family practicioners, ER physicians, etc.).

2. Experience matters - dermatologists pioneered filler products, and plastic surgeons often also have a large portion of their practice focused on such procedures. How often the physician performs such procedures is important. Some dermatologist don't perform such procedures often, and others actually performed the clinical trial for the FDA to get the product approved (they have the most experience). Likewise, some plastic surgeons don't perform the procedures often (or delegate it to their nurses), while other are experts. Ask your physician how often they perform the procedures.

3. Injector matters - be sure it's the physician injecting the product, and not an aesthetician, assistant, etc.

4. Be sure you're comfortable with the physician. Have a consultation beforehand, and never go with the cheapest price available. This is an area where you really do get what you pay for.

So have your Restylane with a board certified dermatologist OR plastic surgeon that does a lot and whom you trust. Hope that helps.

Chad L. Prather, MD
Baton Rouge Dermatologic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 3 reviews

What type of doctor should I go to for Restylane or other fillers

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

This is not an issue which specialist is best trained to perform this type of injection.  This type of procedure can be performed by multiple types of physicians although I would limit recommend limiting your choice to physicians who have training in areas of aesthetics such as dermatologists, plastic surgeons, and so forth. 

Ted Brezel, MD
Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.