Maxilliofacial Surgeon or Plastic Surgeon for Chin Reduction ( Bone) ?

Hi, I have a big chin. The bone protrudes and there's quite alot of soft tissue around it too. Should I go to a plastic surgeon or a maxillo-facial surgeon? Any recommendations for Drs. who do this surgery in the U.S? I can't find much info about this procedure,so it's hard to find a good dr. Thanks

Doctor Answers 1

Chin reduction surgeon

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}


Generally speaking, the surgeon best suited to analyze your lower jaw and chin bone (cephalometric analysis) and determine if your bony excess is vertical, horizontal or both would be an oral and maxillofacial surgeon.  This skill is universally, part of the core curriculum for an oral and maxillofacial surgeon.  

This is not to say that a plastic surgeon would not do a fine job with your chin.  Most plastic surgeons do not get a high degree of exposure to elective facial bone surgery in their basic training.

Plastic surgeons on the other hand, are well adept through their training, to handle soft tissue based procedures for the chin such as implants, which are typically used to make the chin more prominent.  In the case of a prominent chin with abundant soft tissue: address the bone first and the soft tissue will generally follow

Along the lines of choosing a maxillofacial surgeon or a plastic surgeon, there is yet another option. You might consider a surgeon who has training in both fields.  There is a growing minority of surgeons in this category, I myself am one of them.

Best of luck to you.

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.