I am 2 weeks post op full tummy tuck, Lipo, breast aug, 9 hour surgery time. My right arm/fingers are still numb

2 weeks after post op and I am still healing from severe bruising on my right hand as well as my thumb and index finger and right arm still numb. It is making recovery impossible. I can't walk because my right arm just dangles like heavy weight causing me to be extremely crooked and lopsided.. As well as not being able to do anything for myself.. Surgeon says its from being tied down on table so it's asleep and will eventually wake up. But I'm scared and worried that it won't. Help me understand

My right arm/fingers are numb after my procedure

Thank you for your question and I am sorry to hear of your symptoms.  There are a number of possibilities that may account for your symptoms - bleeding/bruising into the hand, placement/positioning of the arm during surgery, or shoulder and neck positioning.  If you are not seeing any steady improvement on a daily basis have your surgeon refer you to a specialist, either a neurologist or hand and upper extremity surgeon for evaluation and management.

Numbness in Arms and Fingers Post Op

It is not common to experience the #numbness you mention in connection to Mommy Makeover Surgery. However, it is best to consult with your plastic surgeon and perhaps a neurologist to further investigate the origin of the issue of concern.

Mommy Makeover - Upper Extremity Numbness

Thank you for your question. Sorry to hear of your post-operative symptoms. This is most likely related to the position of your upper extremity, neck, or shoulder during the surgery. However, this should improve gradually with time. If it does not, I would have a second opinion with a hand/upper extremity surgeon for evaluation. Hope you feel better.

Post op numbness

I am so sorry to hear that your arm is till numb. There could be any number of reasons. If you feel that it's truly not improving, ask your surgeon to refer you to a neurologist to get checked out. 
My best,
Dr. Sheila Nazarian
@drsheilanazarian on Instagram

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Decreased right arm function after mommy makeover

I'm sorry to hear about your dilemma. If you're still having decreased right arm function two weeks after surgery I think this warrants a valuation. In my opinion, if you should be referred to a hand and upper extremity specialist for evaluation. Please discuss this with your plastic surgeon. Best wishes. 

Arm numb after surgery

Hello and I am sorry to hear about your issue.  It sounds like you may have a neuropraxia, which is a abnormality in the conduction through the nerve likely from the position you were in for nine hours.  These types of nerve injuries will often spontaneously resolve with a tincture of time.  No need to worry yet.  

Numbness after surgery

The numbness could be from positioning during the surgery, but make sure your plastic surgeon is aware of your issue on an ongoing basis.

Mommy make-over - Right hand is not working

Thank you for asking about your mommy make-over recovery.
  • This is a most unusual complication after a mommy make-over.
  • Ask your surgeon or your regular doctor to refer you to a neurologist to determine the status of the nerves in your right arm.
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.