Mastopexy after implants via dual plane?

I had silicone gel implants put in about six months ago with the dual plane method. My surgeon was on the fence about whether or not I needed to lift. I opted not to get it and am disappointed. I am now considering a lift .... Curious about recovery time and how that will affect the overall look and feel of my breasts. They are also slightly lopsided. Should I expect this to be fixed if I move forward with a lift?

Mastopexy after dual plane implants

Thank you for your question.  It is technically possible to have a mastopexy after previous augmentation surgery using a dual plane pocket.  Without a proper assessment it is difficult to predict whether it will provide the desired improvement in breast shape.

Mastopexy after dual plane augmentation

Years ago, when we used the term submuscular breast augmentation  what we were really referring to was placing the implant under the pectoralis muscle which only partially covered the implant. This is not to be confused with dual plane augmentation which also places the implant under the muscle, but also lifts the breast tissue off of the anterior surface of the muscle. This allows the breast tissue to redrape over the implant and avoids the double bubble affect  in patients with tight, high inframamry folds. This is often the case with milder degrees of sagging or ptosis. It is a great way to avoid mastopexy scars in the right patients. If you feel you still need a lift, then it can be done as a second procedure with excellent results

Henry Wells, MD
Lexington Plastic Surgeon

Thanks for your question. I routinely have been performing dual plane breast augmentation for more than 12 years.  This technique can sometimes give some degree of "internal lift" and it is a great "first step" to do at the time of breast augmentation; however, in some patients where that is not "enough" then a breast lift is still needed. After the breast implants settle, then you and your plastic surgeon can decide about a breast lift.  I personally think many times its better to first do the breast implants and then come back and do the breast lift afterwards. If you are still seeing "sagginess" to the breast and the nipple is lower down, then a breast lift will lift and tighten the soft tissues "over" the implant and improve the shape.  The breast lift will be a relatively easy recovery compared to the augmentation, and in my experience, my patients have a quick recovery and very little discomfort.  Think of this as the the second part in a two part procedure to give you the fullness and shape you desire.  I hope this helps!

Lift after BBA

I think your breasts will feel slightly different after the breast lift. I would expect your surgeon to adjust any problems with your implants at no charge to you when you have your breast lift.   I think you will be much happier with your breasts after the breast lift.  There is certainly more scarring but the overall shape of your breasts should be much improved.  The recovery from a breast lift is more involved due to the increased number of wounds that need to heal. Best regards.

Hard to say

The best evaluation is a physical exam but pictures would be needed at least to answer your question with accuracy.  In general, a mastopexy staged after a breast augmentation is a straight forward operation and you should expect a good result.  Asymmetry should also be able to be addressed.  Thanks for your question and please keep us updated on your decisions and results.