Will Only Mastectomy Subcutaneous Surgery Correct Gynecomastia?

I just have surgery for gynecomastia and the treatment only involved a mastectomy subcutaneous procedure (since it was covered by my health care insurance). Can I see good results even doe no lipo was done? how long will it take for me to tell? Thanx.

When are Results Notceable after Gynecomastia Surgery with Liposuction

Pseudo-Gynecomastia is composed of adipose tissue instead of glandular tissue. This type of gynecomastia can be treated with diet, liposuction or surgery. Severe Gynecomastia commonly affects those who have lost skin elasticity at an older age and those who have been obese or overweight at one point in their life and lost weight may have saggy skin and breasts that are severely enlarged. Surgery is the recommended treatment for severe gynecomastia.

Following surgery, your incisions will go through a maturation process. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.

Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely.
Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

Mastectomy to Treat Gynecomastia

Hi D.R.,

Thanks for the post.  If the type of gynecomastia you had was glandular without fatty tissue excess, then I would expect you to see good results. Every surgery should be tailored to the specific needs of the patient. Doing the same surgery on ever one will not yield consistent predictable results.

Sincerely,

Dr. Dadvand

Babak Dadvand, MD

Subcutaneous mastectomy is correction of gynecomastia

In cases that there is no need for liposuction subcutaneous mastectomy is equivalent to excision of glandular tissue and may be a good choice in those patients if the surgeon is experienced with this type of surgery.

Mordcai Blau, MD

Gynecomastia can often be corrected just with liposuction

Gynecomastia which means enlarged feminized breats may be due to either fattty and or breast tissue. Very often it is only fatty tissue which causes the enlargement and this can be treated strictly wiht liposuction. This is much simpler with a faster and easier postoperative course. It is also less expensive. If the breasts are caused by actual breast tissue then a subcutaneous mastectomy whereby breast tissue is actually cut out becomes necessary

George Lefkovits, MD

Gyencomastia repair (male breast reduction) with gland excision only and no liposuction

The result with glandular excison alone depends on how much the fat contributed to your gynecomastia. If you had a relatively minimal fatty component, then glandular excison alone could produce a satisfactory result.

Liposuction not always necessary for gynecomastia correction.

If you are very thin, gynecomastia is caused by breast tissue, that is removed through a little incision in the nipple.  In this case you don't need liposuction, and should see a good result in 2 or 3 months.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Mastectomy for Gynecomastia (Man Breasts)

Gynecomastia is not uniform but comes in variable severities. While liposuction is a good choice for mild cases more severe cases would benefit from liposuction with gland e vision. For bigger breasts with excess skin a mastectomy is indicated. If you had a mastectomy I assume your gynecomastia fell into one of these categories and you SHOULD see a siginificant improvement by now.