Thinking of doing my tear troughs with belotero but I'm scared. How long will bruising last?

How long should I expect bruising ?

Belotero Bruising

Belotero is generally a fine line filler that sits higher in the skin, as well as over the orbital bone, and is a great choice for tear troughs. A needle or a cannula may be used to inject to decrease bruising. Bruising varies from patient to patient, tends to be mild, and usually resolves within 1 week. To decrease bruising and swelling, I recommend using a cold pack or ice prior to the procedure. Bromelain is a natural enzyme extracted from the root of the pineapple and is also beneficial to prevent bruising and swelling. Talk to your doctor about the above options. Avoid any blood thinners such as omega 3 fatty acids/fishoils, vitamin E, gingko supplements for 1 week prior to procedure. Motrin, ibuprofen, aleve, and aspirin will also promote bruising so discuss with the doctor if you are taking these medications and cannot discontinue. Ocumend gel pads applied within 15 minutes of injecting are a newer option we are using in our office. They contain a concentrated form of arnica which drastically reduces recovery time from bruising and swelling within the first 72 hours. Best wishes.

Melbourne Dermatologist

#Belotero for tear troughs in #Williamsville, NY

Expert placement of Belotero in this area with cannulas will reduce bruising and the Tyndall effect.

Judicious and conservative volumization will reduce likelihood of early and late swelling.

Best
Dr Karamanoukian
#RealSelf100

Bruising following Injections

The best way to minimize the chances of bruising is to stop taking aspirin, advil, motrin,vitamin e,and fish oil as well as other blood thinners two weeks prior to your appointment.In addition, I have found that microcannulas are usually less traumatic and I believe safer under the eyes compared to sharp needles therefore request cannula injections.However, even with all the right preparation and technique bruising is sometimes unavoidable. 

Joel E. Kopelman, MD, FACS
Ridgewood Oculoplastic Surgeon

If you are a candidate for filler to the tear trough, Belotero is an excellent choice.  The risk of bruising can be minimized by avoiding herbal supplements, aspirin and Ibuprofen like products 7-10 days before the procedure and limiting activity for 1-2 days after the procedure.  

The use of a cannula is not only safer than using a needle to inject the product but also can significantly reduce the risk of bruising.  Bruising can last days to weeks but IPL or KTP lasers treatments can hasten the resolution of bruising in most cases.

Timothy R. Miller, MD

Bruising after tear trough injection

The under-eye area is one of the most delicate parts of the body.  Filler injection in this area can nicely improve the dark circles under your eyes, however, some swelling and bruising is possible.

I tell my patients to plan around the procedure a little bit.  Give yourself at least a long weekend (3-4 days) where you can allow yourself time to heal.  Avoid doing the procedure before a big event (e.g. weddings, presentations, getaway).

Most people are good-to-go after about 4 days.  In rare circumstances, some swelling can persist for 1-2 weeks.  Give it time and the area will heal nicely and give you a good improvement in the area.

Kyle T. Yamamoto, MD
Reno Facial Plastic Surgeon

Belotero and Bruising

A common side effect of injections under the eyes is bruising.  I would suggest taking Arnica before the procedure and ice immediately after.  In our office if there is bruising we suggest you return the next day for the V-Beam laser to treat the bruising immediately.  Best, Dr. Green

TEAR TROUGH INJECTIONS

Tear trough injections with Belotero, Restylane or Juvederm is a good options.  Techniques either directly or with cannula are options.  Bruising is possible but certainly does not occur in everyone.  In our office, if you do bruise, we offer V Beam Perfect Laser treatments at no extra charge.  The laser treatments can be performed immediately or event the following day if needed and in most people who do experience a bruise, the laser achieves a significant reduction in the appearance.

Good Luck

David Shafer, MD

Bruising After Filler Injections Under The Eyes

Bruising is a common occurrence after filler injections under the eyes. It can last up to 2 weeks. For some people using Arnica or Bromelain can help decrease the risk, duration, and severity of bruising. I recommend using a microcannula in this area which further decreases the risk of bruising. Make sure you find an experienced injector. Best wishes.

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon

It’s better to have injections done over a weekend to give yourself some time to heal in case you do bruise.

No one can predict how long bruising will last in a given patient, but there are steps you can take to reduce the chances of bruising too badly. Make sure that you see a board-certified dermatologist for injection, and follow all pre- and post-injection instructions. It’s better to have injections done over a weekend to give yourself some time to heal in case you do bruise. In a worst case scenario, bruising may last for two weeks, but usually it will resolve faster than that.

Karen Beasley, MD
Baltimore Dermatologic Surgeon

How long will bruising last following injections of Belotero into the tear troughs?

Thank you for sharing that question. Typically, an experienced injector in the tear trough region gets minimal bruising which resolves within a week. I hope this helps.
Good luck,