Do I have gynecomastia? (Photo)

Hi guys im 5'7 155 pounds and thats how my chest looks, ive seen pictures as wrll as people in person who around the same heoght and wait but their chest isnt nearly as profound, from appearance do you think it looks genetic or is it normal and will go away when i lose more fat? Thank you for your answers.

Doctor Answers 9

From your photos you probably do have is your choice.

How should I choose a surgeon?
Selecting a surgeon is as important a choice as the decision to undergo surgery. Choose carefully only a board certified PLASTIC SURGEON. The decision is yours. What follows is some advice to assist in making your selection. 1. Experience matters. Choosing a surgeon who has performed over one thousand gynecomastia cases increases the likelihood that they have seen a case similar to yours in the past. Selecting a surgeon whose practice is focused on gynecomastia exclusively is also an indicator of experience. 2. Results matter. The more before-and-after pictures a surgeon displays, the better. Pay attention not just to the number of pictures, but whether the surgeon is confident enough to show multiple angles of the same patient. 3. Gynecomastia surgery Reviews matter. Have patients reviewed your surgeon? Did those patients undergo the surgery you are considering? 4. Expertise matters. Is your surgeon recognized by the profession as an authority in the field? Are they certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery? Have they authored books or medical journal articles regarding your surgery?

New York Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 76 reviews


Little hard to tell from the pictures so make sure your consulting with a board-certified plastic surgeon when the time comes. If you think it might be weight related by all means try that first.  It's not likely that it will help but it's certainly worth a try. If surgery is necessary it can be performed through a tiny incision inside your armpit leaving no visible scar on the front of your chest. Hope this helps.

Sherwood Baxt, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon
3.8 out of 5 stars 25 reviews

Do I Have Gynecomastia

About 200,000 to 3 million cases of #gynecomastia are being reported every single year. So if you have #breast #enlargement and you feel you're an exception, please understand that 1 in 3 young adult #men and 1 in 2 older adult men are just like you and have breast enlargement. According to official statistics, 36% of adult young men and 57% of older #adult men in the United States have this medical condition in one of the four grades. 
Several common factors can cause gynecomastia including excessive levels of #estrogen, natural #hormone changes, use of recreational drugs or alcohol, medications and their associated side effects, and, various health conditions. Also, there are different types of #gynecomastia. There are three types of surgical #treatment #options available that treat gynecomastia. Your board-certified plastic surgeon will recommend the type best suited for you. The most important decision to be made before performing any surgical procedure is determining whether you are an ideal #candidate. 

Jed H. Horowitz, MD, FACS
Orange County Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 110 reviews


Thank you for your question and photo.  You need to be evaluated by a board-certified plastic surgeon in person to determine if you have gynecomastia.  Diet and exercise can cut down on fat, but they will have no effect on any glandular tissue you have present.  A combination of gland excision and lipo suction may be required.

All the best,

Dr. Results
Miami, FL

Jose M. Soler-Baillo, MD
Miami Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 92 reviews


Thank you for the photos and question but an examination would clear your mind.  So see some experts in your area and get their opinion.

Dr. Corbin 

Frederic H. Corbin, MD
Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 62 reviews

Do I have gynecomastia?

Thank you for the question and pictures. Accurate diagnosis would necessitate physical examination. It IS important to differentiate gynecomastia ( excess breast tissue) from lipomastia ( otherwise known as pseudo-gynecomastia or excess adipose tissue of chest wall). Treatment will differ depending on diagnosis. In most cases, gynecomastia is treated with resection of the excess breast tissue; peripheral chest liposuction surgery may also be helpful.

My best suggestion: seek consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience achieving the types of outcomes you will be pleased with. You may find the attached link helpful to you as you learn more. Best wishes.

Tom J. Pousti, MD, FACS
San Diego Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 1,501 reviews

Do I have gynecomastia?

Hi there ,
Thanks for sharing the photo.
Gynaecomastia is more of a slef diagnosis at times. in your case it is a mild form. but if you are distressed by your chest shape and workouts are not helping you, surgery is a better option. 
best of luck

Karthik Ram, MRCS, DNB
India Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 54 reviews


It's hard to tell from your photo. It looks like one side is worse than the other, and the larger side coul have gynecomastia. Time for you to get examined, preferably by a gynecomastia surgeon.

Ronald Schuster, MD
Baltimore Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 80 reviews

Do I have Gynecomastia?

Thank you for your question.

Based on your photographs, It appears that you do have Gynecomastia. This is a fairly common situation and can be easily treated. Please make an appointment with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon in your area who can evaluate you and suggest treatment if required.

All The Best !

Ajaya Kashyap, MD
India Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 166 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.