My upper abdomen is swollen. I'm wondering if this is normal or maybe cause of me doing to much?

I'm 3 weeks post op tummy tuck and Lipo on sides and breast lift. Ive been feeling great until about 2 days ago where I was getting sharp pain in upper abdomen almost like a electric shock.

Mommy Makeover /Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/Tummy Tuck/Liposuction/BBL

I appreciate your question.  Since there has been a change in your post op course, please contact your surgeon so he/she can examine you and recommend the most appropriate treatment plan at this time. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon

Swelling 3 Weeks Post-Op

Healing after the  #tummytuck will take time. I have my patients out of bed and walking the night of surgery and every hour while awake.  I allow my patients to return to work at one to two weeks with 14 days preferred.  No lifting or straining.  At three weeks increased level of activity and full, no restrictions, at 6 weeks.
Without knowing the amount of activity that you have undergone since your procedure, the only answer would be that it is the one thing in occurrence. If you are worried at all, then you should go ahead and contact your surgeon directly to make sure that the area is healing properly.

Swelling can take a good 6 months to a year to fully resolve after a TT. And remember, the more active you are, the more swollen you will be. However, if you experience a sudden change, like continuous sharp pain, best to see your operating surgeon so you can be properly examined and evaluated in person. Good luck!

Tummy tuck - sudden sharp pain at 3 weeks.

Thank you for your question about your tummy tuck.

• Please see your plastic surgeon for an examination.
  • This may be anything from muscle strain to separated muscle sutures.
  • If you have been doing a lot of lifting or or strenuous activity, please cut back and ask your surgeon to give you specific directions as to what you should and should not be doing.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes. Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Mommy Makeover - Post Op Swelling?

Thank you for your question. You are still very early in the post-operative period. You should expect to have swelling for several months following tummy tuck surgery. Use of a properly fitted compression garment will help decrease the length and severity of the post-operative swelling. As the swelling decreases, the contour of your abdomen, flanks, and hips will dramatically improve.  Please follow your plastic surgeons specific advice regarding your level of physical activity. Hope this helps and good luck with your recovery.

Consult with your surgeon

Tingling, burning or shooting pains, which will disappear with time and should not alarm you, indicate regeneration of the sensory nerves. If these sensations cause pain, repeated, local self-massage helps.

If concerned, please consult with your surgeon. 

My upper abdomen is swollen after tummy tuck.

I'm sorry to hear about the concerns you have after tummy tuck surgery. As you likely know, your plastic surgeon will be your best resource for precise diagnosis and advice...

Generally speaking, abdominal wall "swelling" after tummy tuck may be related to:
1. Swelling in the soft tissues. This may take several months to resolve and may worsen with increased activity or at the end of the day. Patience is required to allow for resolution of the swelling. The swelling occurs because of the interruption of venous and lymphatic channels that occurs during the tummy tuck operation.
2. Fluid accumulation in the space between the skin and the abdominal wall muscle. this may consist of blood ( hematoma) or serum (seroma). This fluid accumulation can generally be diagnosed by physical examination ( occasionally ultrasound may be helpful). Treatment consists of aspiration; several episodes of aspiration may be necessary.
3. Separation of the abdominal wall muscle repair may lead to a swelling/bulge appearance. One of the steps of a tummy tuck procedure involves reapproximation (plication) of the rectus muscles. These muscles have spread apart during pregnancy and/or weight gain. Bringing them together again in the midline helps to “tighten” the abdominal wall as well as to narrow the waistline.
4. Residual adipose tissue may be confused for swelling. Again this is most easily diagnosed by physical examination. Additional liposuction surgery maybe necessary to improve the results of surgery. Generally, it takes many months for swelling to resolve after tummy tuck surgery and it may take up to one year (or greater) a complete skin redraping to occur.

Post op pain

Congratulations on your surgery.

You are still very early afterwards and are most likely experiencing normal post op pain. It is not uncommon for people to start feeling better and then do too much activity because they feel better. The following day they often experience more pain and discomfort than they had been noting. Electric shock pains are more often nerve regeneration pains. I would recommend resting today and keep your activity light. If the pain does not improve, then call your doctor as there are other causes that can only be diagnosed on a physical exam.

Good luck and congratulations on your surgery.

Jennifer Boll, MD
Tempe Plastic Surgeon

Pain 3 weeks after TT and liposuction.

It would not be possible to give a meaningful response without an in person examination.  In general, if there is no contour change to your abdomen or any other issues, you likely are experiencing some post operative discomfort from the healing of your TT.  See you surgeon to express your concerns.