I tested positive for the PALB2 and I have strong family history of breast, ovarian, and pancreatic and bladder cancer.

Am I making the right decision to get a double mastectomy due to my mutation? And all the breast cancer in my immediate family members? I also want to know if mass health and medi care cover reconstruction and if needed implants? I had a total hysterectomy done. I plan to have a double masectomy

In patients with high risk through genetic testing, it becomes a personal choice to have a prophylactic mastectomy vs. surveillance. This is a discussion with an oncologist. Best of luck.

Genetic testing

This is a discussion you need to have with your oncologist.  Because you have a genetic predisposition and such a strong family history, your chances of getting cancer is higher than the rest of the population.  Make sure you understand what the oncologist is saying and don't be afraid to ask many questions.  There are also many reconstructive options available and you can speak with a PS about them.

Anh Lee, MD
El Paso Plastic Surgeon