I'm having rhinoplasty. What can I do to care for the bruising around eyes?

Any advice on what to do to help prevent bruising, help bruising go away sooner,what type of make up to cover bruises and any home remedies to help heal bruises on face?

Prevent bruising

Stop aspirin and ibuprofen drugs for two weeks prior to surgery. Ask your surgeon if he recommends a supplement. I recommend Arnika Forte to my patients; there is an oral or topical formulation. Arnika Forte is made by Enaltus . I'm sure you can find them in your area.

Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

How to minimize bruising after rhinoplasty.

Your surgeon likely will give you pre op instructions on certain medications to avoid, as they can increase the risk of bruising.  These are medications such as aspirin, Motrin, Ibuprofen, etc.  Red wine should also be avoided.  .How extensive your rhinoplasty is will factor in to how much bruising you could potentially have.   After your surgery the same medications should be avoided until your doctor says it's safe to use them.  Keeping cool iced compresses on your nose will help minimize swelling and bruising and help to minimize discomfort.  Any activity which increase your heart rate or blood pressure or make your face turn red should also be avoided.

Rhinoplasty and bruising

If you are having a rhinoplasty bruising is inevitable for the majority of patients.  One thing to do to possibly limit the bruising is to avoid blood thinners before surgery.  The more extensive work performed the more bruising is likely.

Treat bruising after rhinoplasty

Hi sunflowerslove. Bruising after rhinoplasty is common, and typically resolves within the first 7 days. The best treatment for bruising after rhinoplasty is prevention. Icing the nose continuously within the first 24-48 hours after surgery really helps control bruising, and limit its spread. Avoiding medications that cause bleeding before surgery is important (such as aspirin, NSAIDS, herbal medications). Your cosmetic surgeon should provide you a list of medications to avoid before surgery, and it is best to follow the guidelines. Arnica & bromelain may also help, although the evidence supporting their use is limited. Sleep with your head of bed elevated > 45 degrees. This will help with bruising and swelling. Good luck with your rhinoplasty. Best, Dr H. 

Sanaz Harirchian, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Sleeping and staying in an elevated position, at least 90 degrees, and using ice packs for 3 to 4 days will help avoid some, if not all the swelling and bruising.  Bruising will depend on the technique your surgeon uses during your procedure.  I agree with my colleagues that it is important to stop any medications that can promote bruising such as Advil, Vitamin E, fish oil, garlic supplements, Ginko and St John's Wort. Follow your surgeons post operative instructions for a rapid recovery!  Best wishes! 

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Bruising after Rhinoplasty

Dear sunflowerslove,

It is important to stop all blood thinning medications prior to surgery as mentioned by the other doctors. In addition, we have our patients apply cold compresses to their eyes for the first 24 hours after surgery. The compresses must be lightweight in order to prevent any injury to the nasal structure, so we recommend soaking 2 x 2 gauzes in a basin of iced saline, and continually applying those to the eyes. That treatment is most beneficial in the first day or so. It is also important for post op rhino patients to sit upright as much as possible, this allow swelling and bruising to dissipate faster. Best of luck!

Bruising after rhinoplasty

Dear Sunflower

I agree with the recommendations given. It is important to stop any medications that can promote bruising such as Advil, Vitamin E, fish oil, garlic supplements, Ginko and St John's Wort. 

I give all of my rhinoplasty and blepharoplasty patients OcuMend to use after the surgery. It really does seem to help with bruising and swelling. I would ask your surgeon if they have used this product. 

Hope this helps

Dr S

Travis L. Shaw, MD
Richmond Facial Plastic Surgeon

I'm having rhinoplasty. What can I do to care for the bruising around the eyes?

Hello, and thank you for the question. In general, bruising around the eyes may be improved with the following:

1) Topical Arnica Montana (Applied directly on the bruised area after surgery) 
2) Hyperbaric oxygen treatment

Bruising may be prevented by avoiding the following things prior to surgery:

1) Vitamin E 
2) Fish Oil
3) Ibuprofen
5) Alcohol
6) Various herbal supplements

Bruising typically occurs when osteotomies (fracturing of the nasal bones) are performed. I would recommend speaking with your surgeon, as he/she will be able to advise you. I hope this information helps, and I wish you the best of luck. 

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Brushing after rhinoplasty

Bruising usually goes away by 7-10 days. There are a few tricks which can work. Arnica is great. It comes as a pill and a cream. You can use both. Also using green tinted makeup can help cover it up until it fully fades. 

Samir Undavia, MD
Princeton Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty and bruising

It is not uncommon to have bruising around the eyes following rhinoplasty. You are more prone to bruising if you take certain medications in the days and weeks leading up to the injection (fish oil, Vitamin E, aspirin, motrin, aleve, ibufrofen, etc...). I tell all of my patients to use topical Arnica Montana, which is a natural over the counter gel, the moment that they see a bruise forming. It helps with swelling as well and gets rid of the bruising many days prior to not using anything at all. You can buy sublingual tablets as well.  Many patients swear by pineapple tablets, which contain bromelain, and are taken in the week or so leading up to a surgery.  Bromelain is also found in papaya and fresh pineapple, though it is most concentrated in the pineapple core. 

Staying elevated, calm, and relaxed in the initial days following your surgery is important.  And using cool compresses helps as well!

In terms of covering bruises, I recommend a makeup called dermablend.  It conceals things quite naturally and nicely.

I wish you the best!

Parker A. Velargo, MD
New Orleans Facial Plastic Surgeon