I'm considering removing my implants. Will they look deflated/saggy? Should I also get a lift? (Photo)

I'm 25 yrs old and my implants are 22 months old (1 yr & 10 months). I have 375cc ultra high profile silicone implants. Its hard for me to sleep on my right side without getting shooting pains. The Dr. who performed the surgery recommend I also get a lift if I remove my implants. But I'm not sure if I should.... I've read so many reviews and Q&A's but it's hard to find one that is similar to my situation.I want to be my old self, pain free. Thank you!

Implant removal

You can certainly consider removing the implants and then wait to see if you're comfortable with how they look before deciding on a lift.  You are young, which is in your favor as far as the skin having more elasticity.  It will take 3 to 6 months for the breasts to completely heal after the implants are removed and for you to see the final results.  At that time you can determine if you want to proceed with a lift.  Best wishes.

Best to only remove implants at first.

Your implants have only been in for a short amount of time.  If you remember what you looked like before your augmentation, chances are you will look very close to that after the removal.  Only removing your implants, will not put new incisions on your breasts and then waiting 8-10 months will allow your breast tissue to contract fully and regain it's shape.  If after the 8-10 months, you are pleased with your shape and contour, nothing else needs to be done.  If not, you could always consider a lift at that point.  It seems the most conservative approach is your best place to start.

#Explant #BreastImplantRemoval - Will they look saggy? Should I also get a lift?

It's a good question, and there are no absolute answers.  However, because you are young and the implants were not in that long, I would probably advise you just to remove the implants, and then wait.  It takes several months (at least) for your tissue to contract down on its own fully, and it may do so well enough so that you don't need a lift.  A lift imposes additional scarring (and risks) and, particularly since you are young (and can reasonably expect better elasticity than someone who is older and had the implants in longer), I would probably recommend just the implant removal now, and give your body a chance to heal on its own. You will hopefully find out that you didn't need the lift.

I am also sorry that you went through the implant surgery and are not happy with the results - but that is a different issue.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. Alan Engler
Member of #RealSelf100

Removing implants

You might want to remove the implants and wait until they settle before considering other surgeries.  Best of luck.

Removal

Consider healing from removal of the implants before considering a lift.  You may find that you do not need a lift, or only a minor one.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Removal

Don't expect for your breasts to look like they did prior to surgery. No one can say exactly what you will look like or may need over the Internet. You can consider just a removal, and later lift if needed. Your doctor will be the best one to give you advice.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

After removal of implants will I need a lift?

Thank you for your question and photos.  There are a lot of factors one needs to consider that influences the outcome and what is right for you.  No online reviewer can diagnose or make treatment recommendations based on a photograph.  One needs to have an in person exam and evaluation.  In my experience if a young patient has had implants for over a year the skin has relaxed (expanded) and removal of implants usually yields loose saggy breasts worse than before augmentation.  Occasionally one may have tissues that shrink back and give satisfactory appearance.  If one desires to have perkier breasts and wants to limit the number of procedures then a lift at the time of removal may be an option.  On the other hand, removal of implants and allowing the body to change and then deciding on a lift may limit unnecessary procedures on the breasts.

I would start with with a face to face consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who has experience in breast surgery. During your visit your surgeon should be evaluating your health to determine if you are a good surgical candidate and examining your tissues to get a sense of what type of procedure your tissues will allow. Only with a hands on exam can this be determined. During the consult you and the surgeon should be understanding of the goals and realistic outcomes of your choices. Once an exam and opinion is rendered then you can decide if surgery is right for you. Good luck.

David J. Wages, MD
Peabody Plastic Surgeon

I'm considering removing my implants. Will they look deflated/saggy? Should I also get a lift?

I am sorry to hear about the problem you have experienced after breast augmentation surgery. Based on your description, you have many positive things going for you when it comes to the outcome of surgery expected after breast implant removal: your youth, good quality skin elasticity, and relatively small breast implant size are all favorable.   In my practice, I would likely suggest that you undergo breast implant removal  along with the adjustment of the underlying  breast implant capsules to improve the aesthetic outcome.  I would not suggest breast lifting at the same time;  proceed with this operation, only if really necessary, one year subsequently.

Generally speaking, what your breasts will look like after explantation depends on several factors such as: the quality of skin elasticity (the better the elasticity the better the skin will bounce back), the size of the implants used (the larger the implant the more trouble you may have with redundant skin), and the amount of breast tissue present at this time (which may have changed since the time of your breast augmentation).

Life experience since your breast augmentation procedure, such as pregnancy or weight gain weight loss, will potentially influence the factors discussed above. If you take these factors into consideration and apply them to your specific circumstances you may get a good idea of what to expect after the implants are removed.

Patience is definitely indicated after removal of breast implants; it will take many months for the skin to “bounce back” and for you to see the final appearance of the breasts.  

I hope this, and the attached link (dedicated to breast implant removal surgery concerns), helps.

Implant removal and outcome

Sorry that you are experiencing pain.
Without more information about your body (pre-operative state) and direct examination, it is difficult to assess if you should have breast lift.

Implant removal will give you a deflated appearance, perhaps more than your pre-operative state.
If you do have enough breast tissue, mastopexy (lift) is an option.

Please talk with your plastic surgeon and discuss your goal/expectation.
Best regards.