Recommendations? I got split abdominal wall, and not enough loose skin (Photo)

No having enough lose skin, after consecutive pregnancies, Tommy tuck was the way to go, few surgeons advice, my pcp, ask me to don't do it, my muscles are split that its my concern I would like to fix them. after so many "no"s to a Tommy tuck , what else is out there that I can do to fix my abdominal wall? I got one go ahead for a Tommy tuck, but this doctor said that that if he couldn't pull my skin down ill end up with a vertical and a horizontal scar plus that I should expect complications.

Split Muscle & Not Enough Loose Skin for Tummy Tuck?

Thank you for posting your photos with your questions. It appears that you have diastasis or separation of your rectus abdominal muscles and possibly an umbilical hernia from your consecutive pregnancies. You also have loose skin without a hanging pannus. There are a number of types of tummy tucks: tummy tuck with a horizontal scar, tummy tuck with an umbilical "float" and tummy tuck with a short vertical line connected to the traditional horizontal tummy tuck scar. You must have the abdominal muscles sutured in your midline and the rest is up to how loose your upper abdominal skin is and which design you prefer. I recommend that you have a consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who can examine you, discuss your surgical options, answer all of your questions and show you many before and after photos of their tummy tucks. Best wishes, Dr. Richard Swift

Lax muscles

It is possible to release your skin over the loose muscles in the center without skin removal and tighten the muscles so you have less bulge of your abdomen. This involves a couple of incisions; one at the area above your pubic mound and another around the umbilicus.  Your result will not be as tight as a tummy tuck but will be an improvement over what you are seeing now.

Of course decreasing your intra-abdominal fatty tissue can be helpful if that is an issue.

Good luck with your endeavor!

Deborah Ekstrom, MD
Worcester Plastic Surgeon

Rectus repair

Hi - Unfortunately, I think you have been given some poor advice thus far.  I definitely wouldn't accept a vertical scar.  You would be a candidate for a mini abdominoplasty - some skin could still be excised (you would need an examination in person to truely assess how much) & the muscles could be repaired through this incision (low & horizontal).  I would expect this to give you an excellent result with a very flat stomach.  All the best in seeking out a plastic surgeon who is adequately trained to perform the procedure that you require.  Kind regards

Kim Taylor, FRACS
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck question

I think that you are a candidate for a mini tummy tuck where your belly button is floated. This way you could have your muscles repaired and a minimal amount of lower abdominal skin removed. Discuss this option with your surgeon. 

Recommendations? I got split abdominal wall, and not enough loose skin

There is more skin laxity there than can be appreciated due to the abdominal wall laxity.

Beverly Hills, CA