Questions about insurance and recovery time with breast reduction?

I am a 23 year old with a 32G cup. I'm 5'5" and weigh 148 pounds. I have persistent shoulder and back issues on top of annoyance about my breasts feeling too heavy and insecurity surrounding them. Do any of these reasons seem good enough for insurance to cover the surgery? Also, I am very active and I walk dogs for a living so I was wondering how long I would have to take off from work, or if I could get away with 2 weeks and use a hip leash instead of holding one.

Breast reduction

You sound like a good candidate but your insurance company may require a period of physical therapy or chiropractic prior to authorizing surgery.  In terms of time off,  Although two weeks off is the norm for my patients with office jobs, given the nature of your employment, a longer leave may be appropriate.

Insurance and breast reduction

Each insurance company is a bit different in terms of coverage for a breast reduction. While you sound like a candidate, you need to check with your insurance company.

Breast Reduction

Yes, your clinical symptoms warrant your insurance company to cover the surgery. However, this this being said, every insurance company is different. 

I recommend an in-office examination as well as a detailed discussion with a surgeon who you are comfortable with and who is a Double-Board Certified Plastic Surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

Best wishes!

Dr. Desai

Thank you for the question and congratulations on your decision to proceed with breast reduction surgery; this operation tends to be one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform. Based on your description, it sounds like you may be an excellent candidate for the procedure.  

Best to check directly with your insurance company to see whether breast reduction surgery is a “covered” benefit with your specific policy. Then, given that every insurance company has different “criteria”, best to identify exactly what your specific insurance company considers criteria for approval. Generally, the more documentation you have (for example, from your primary care doctor, physical therapist, chiropractor etc.) the better when it comes to obtaining insurance “authorization” for the procedure. Also, for many insurance companies, the closer you are to your long-term ideal weight, the better.

This documentation and letter/pictures from your plastic surgeon will help you obtain authorization. 

Your plastic surgeon will guide you when it comes to returning to activities.   In my practice, with the goal being avoidance of complications,  I would suggest that you stay away from strenuous activity including dog walking for 3 to 4 weeks after the procedure is performed.  Best not to put yourself in a position where unexpected forces may cause accident/injury.

Best wishes as you work toward your goals and an outcome that you will be very pleased with.