I got Juvederm in nasolabial fold/lips 2 days ago. 1st time. Why do I look no different?

I am 34 skinny healthy spent $1300 went to a highly regared surgeon im so upset i cannot functikn please help me tell me what to do i want to look good

Properly Performed, Filler & Volumizer Injections Typically Give Rise To Immediate "Wow!" Responses

One of the greatest personal gratifications of my nonsurgical aesthetic work using fillers and volumizing fillers for reshaping, restoring and recontouring more youthful facial features is the immediate "Wow!" response I get from patients when they sit up and look at themselves in the mirror immediately following treatment. In fact, the hand mirrors in my offices have the exclamation, "Wow!" written into them. So, when you say that you have not as yet seen any improvement from your treatment, I have to share your concern. 

There are several possible reasons for this, however. For one, perhaps the choice of Juvederm, which is a pretty ordinary, simple filler, was an inappropriate choice for your needs. Perhaps, Restylane Lyft, which, as its name implies, is an excellent lifting product, would have been a better choice for your smile lines and Restylane Silk for the lips. Or perhaps, Juvederm Ultra Plus might have been more appropriate. Even if the filler were the correct option, possibly too little was used, especially nowadays when novice injectors and medspas, as a come-on, so often charge by the syringe, rather than charging by the job.  

Another possibility is that the treating physician took the approach of simply "chasing after lines," essentially like spackling cracks and crevaces, rather than addressing volume loss in other areas of the face, such as the upper cheeks or mid cheek regions, which might have secondarily and more appropriately benefited your smile lines without even the need for injecting them directly.  

If after another couple of weeks, your situation remains unchanged, you should consider returning to the treating physician to discuss these issues, or perhaps consider a second opinion by a board certified aesthetic physician with expertise and experience in nonsurgical facial rejuvenation and lip augmentation.

Juvederm and appearance

It is quite common to have swelling after fillers.  Give it a week or so to settle down, If you are still unhappy you can always dissolve it.

Juvederm 2 days post op

Thank you for your question.  Some people need more filler than others, you may have been treated with not enough filler.  I would make an appt with your Dr. at 7-10 days post op to assess .

Chad Robbins, MD

Final Appearance After Juvederm

Thank you for your question and sorry that you are having some concerns about your postprocedure appearance.  Please keep in mind that it will take 2 weeks to see the final appearance of your results.  After Juvederm injection there is typically an immediate result, which you will see immediately after the procedure, and a final result, which you will see in 2 weeks.  It will take 2 weeks to see your final result because the product may volumize slightly during that time and incorporate with the surrounding tissues.  Without seeing your before photos and discussing your initial goals, it is impossible to determine the amount of product required to achieve your desired degree of correction.  Based on the cost, it sounds like 2 syringes were used.  It is possible that more product will be required in order to achieve your desired degree of correction.  Sometimes it can be very helpful to review your before and after photographs with your doctor in order to fully appreciate the difference.  My best advice would be to give it 2 weeks to see your final result.  At that point, if you are still having any concerns, please contact your injector for reevaluation and to review your before and after photographs.  Best! 

Filler injections not effective

The most common reason for dissatisfaction with filler injection other than the accepted sequelae of swelling, bruising, etc. is lack of effectiveness. This most common reason is due to failure to use sufficient filler material (going for the less costly remedy). I would suggest you probably need more filler. You will also find that the improvement generally lasts longer with a larger quantity.

Richard O. Gregory, MD

No difference 2 days post injection with Juvederm

Thank you for sharing your question. With 2 syringes of Juvederm, you should see some difference. It does take a week to show final results. Wait a few more days and then see your doctor if the appearance has not improved. 
Good luck,

Hello Lexi24,

Sorry to hear about your experience.  Based on your price it sounds like you received two syringes.  This really should have created a noticeable difference (I usually see a noticeable difference with much less than this).  Without seeing your before and after photos there is no way to make any specific comments.  Given the fact you said you are skinny you should be seeing a result.  Sometimes you just haven't received enough of an injection to get the result you want.  I'd recommend you follow up with your injector to express your concerns and take a look at your before photos.  Your injector can then guide your further about what can be done.

I hope this helps and good luck.  

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon

You worry too early after Juvederm

After Juvederm it takes a period of  3 or 4 days swelling before all settles down and looks normal.   You are just beginning the whole process.   You will look fine.   Relax.    Go back and  talk to your doctor for reassurance.  

Juvederm

It depends on how much Juvederm was injected, what type (ultra vs. ultra plus), and where injected.  Usually, at your young age you want the result to be subtle.  You can always inject too much and have it look unnatural.  In a way thus is worse.  If you feel that enough was not injected, you may want to get more injected, and tha time try a dermatologist rather than a surgeon.  Hope this helps.

M. David Cole, MD, FAAD
Newport Beach Dermatologist

Juvederm and Lack of Results

Without before and after photos it is impossible to say what happened.  Perhaps it was the wrong filler or placed in an area that didn't need it or you need more filler.  Please consider posting your question again with photos.  In the meanwhile please return to your treating physician for examination.  Best, Dr. Green