Can I have an areola reduction during explantation without a lift? (Photo)

I'm desiring to have my 340cc saline implants removed with an areola reduction. As you can see there is considerable rippling. Is a life necessary? I know I will have scarring around the areola but I'm afraid of the puckered nipple/deformed I've seen in some photos on this site. I got my implants almost 8 years ago, I'm 28 now and I've had one child.

#Explant #BreastImplantRemoval - areola reduction during explantation without a lift?

Depending on what is being done, an areolar reduction is already, by definition, a type of lift.  Rather than applying specific terms - which can mean different things to different people - you should go through the various surgical options with your PS.  For example, if you remove your implants and don't do some sort of more formal lift (ie, tightening some of your excess skin) you may have more dimpling and sagging than you'll be comfortable with.  A combined procedure (removal of implants and a lollipop lift) would allow you to tighten the excess skin and reduce the size of the areolas without getting the puckering you referred to, which occurs when too large a tightening is attempted using the circumareolar incision alone.

You may, understandably, not want the extra incisions for that lift and you can always stage the procedure - undergo just an implant removal now, wait 6-12 months to see what degree of contraction you'll achieve on your own - and have a lift later, if you need and/or want it.  That is, in fact, a preferable approach from many standpoints, although it means you may have two procedures when one could have sufficed.

A more complete discussion should be done with your own board-certified PS who can examine you in person and go over the plusses and minuses of each approach.  It's reasonable to get more than one opinion before proceeding with this.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. Alan Engler
Member of #RealSelf500

Areolar reduction with explantation.

Your areolar can be reduced during your explantation.  Whether you need/want a lift at the same time is up to you.  To create the best breast shape after explantation a lift may be the best option as it decreases the areolar size, puts the nipple/areolar in the correct position on the breast and allows the breast to be as fulled out as possible by putting all the remaining breast tissue inside a smaller skin envelope, hence filling it out.  This, for only a small additional, well camouflaged incision line.  Your plastic surgeon should be able to help you  with all the options.

Areola reduction

You can do the reduction of the areola during or after you have explantation. They may shrink down a bit after removal with a surgical reduction, but they probably will not go down as much as you might want.