Am I a candidate for a mid facelift and/or chin implant? (Photos)

Hi there. I'm 31 years old, as I entered my thirties I began to notice signs of aging, my face feels heavier and appears to droop downward. I often feel I look sad or tired with a relaxed face. I have tried injections twice on my lips and nasolabial folds but I wasn't pleased with the final result. I am wondering If I am a good candidate for a mid facelift and /or chin implant to improve these areas. If not what are my options. I am still young and would like it to be as natural as possible.

Yes to Fillers or Chin Implant, Not Yet to Facelift

Thank you for your question. Based on your photos, particularly the profile view, it does appear that a subtle chin implant could help by giving you more desirable facial proportions. I would not recommend a facelift, however, because I don't see any sagging or wrinkling. Instead, I would recommend dermal fillers to add volume. While you said that fillers did not produce the results you were hoping for in the past, you may not have had the benefit of an expert injector. Instead of injecting the folds themselves, we can inject the cheeks to give them lift and definition, and simultaneously diminish nasolabial folds. You may also benefit from fillers at the junction of the cheek and under-eye area for a more refreshed look.

Chin implant and lift at 31?

Thank you for the helpful photos.

I am sorry the filler results were disappointing.
Yes, a chin implant seems a good idea.
For young people like you, a cheek implant ior cheek fillers are usually better than a mid-face lift-- the photos suggest that the problem is a lack of enough bone to support the facial tissues. The lift will only tighten tissues, not give additional structural support. 

Be be sure to see a Board Certified Plastic or Facial Plastic Surgeon. 

Chin implant versus facelift

Photographs would seem to indicate a recessive chin and I think the chin implant, a relatively simple procedure would make a huge difference for you. There are other things that you might consider including tightening of the neck as with a ThermiTight procedure and by volumization of your cheeks would also help. I would advise against a surgical facelift at the present time. Take advantage of your youth to optimize what you have. Speak with someone who has the capability of doing all of these procedures and can give you an objective analysis and recommendation.

Richard O. Gregory, MD

Facial Concerns at 31

Thank you for the question.  Your photos do not however tell the whole story.  A face to face consultation would be very important because the quality of the skin needs to also be assess.  Although you have tried fillers, they can still be an option.  Often we are now placing filler higher with the cheeks in order to create a non surgical lift.  Chin implants can also help with facial proportions a  even a very small implant can made a big difference.  Check with a board certified surgeon.

Facial Rejuvanation

Hi,

In your case partially because of your age, its difficult to assess your issues and potential treatment of problem areas. You should seek several in person consultations.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

Am I a candidate for a mid facelift and/or chin implant?

Hi, I have performed facelifts for over 30 years and have performed many minimally, invasive type facelifts on women in their late twenties and early thirties that have early "jowl" formation.  From the photos your cheeks are flat anteriorly (in the front), there is excess facial fat in front and below the cheeks that creates a deal nasolabial fold when you smile, jowls are present and the chin is weak. These factors combine to create a rectangular shaped face.

Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, women look the most feminine, youthful and attractive with heart shaped faces.  Heart shaped faces have cheeks that are full and round in the front.  Cheek augmentation with a dermal filler or using cheek implants for a permanent enhancement will create full, round cheeks that will feminize the entire face.  I would combine liposuction to remove the excess fat for further shaping of the cheeks.

A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face.  I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick and highly effective.

"Jowls” are sagging facial tissues and an indication for some form of a SMAS facelift. The underlying SMAS layer, of the face, must be dissected, lifted, trimmed and re-sutured (not merely folded or suspended with threads or sutures that will not last).  The excess skin is then removed and the facelift incisions closed.

My most popular facelift is the minimally invasive, short incision facelift that has all the benefits of more invasive facelifts (traditional, mid-face and subperiosteal facelifts) but with these added benefits:

• very small incisions
  • minimal tissue dissection = less bruising and swelling = rapid recovery
  • can be performed in 90 minutes or less, with or without general anesthesia
  • no incisions within the hair = no hair loss
  • excess fat can be removed
  • excess skin removed
  • cheeks, chin and jaw line can be augmented with dermal fillers (I prefer Restylane Lyft) or facial implants
  • most patients fly back home to parts all over the world in as little as 3 days post-op
I combine whatever facial shaping that's necessary with every facelift procedure. When jowls are present, these should be done in concert and not alone or separately in order to create a naturally, more attractive face.

Hope this helps.

Hello Ell36,

I always say there is no set age for a facelift.  However, not everyone who is candidate for a facelift.  What a facelift does is it helps to lift volume that was sagging and remove excess tissue.  In the photos your provided, you have had some volume shifts, but I would not recommend a surgery for you.  You did mention you have tried fillers before for your melolabial folds.  I do like fillers for patients in your age group.  You may also consider a little more volume over your cheek bones.  

As far as a chin implant, the view you provide is not quite a complete lateral view which makes it hard to say specifically.  It does appear that you may be a candidate (on a female the chin should be just behind a line dropped from the lower lip downwards).  

I'd recommend you consult with a facial plastic surgeon who also performs his or her own injections.  The benefit of this is you can see both your surgical and non surgical options and determine what is best for you.

I hope this helps and good luck.  

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon

Possible candidate for mid facelift and/or chin implant

Based on your photos, it does appear that your profile could benefit from chin augmentation with an implant.  I would not recommend a mid facelift for you at this point though.  I realize you mentioned you had been treated with fillers in the past, but I believe this would be a good option to improve some of the changes you are seeing.  It is possible the fillers need to be placed in different areas of your face than were previously treated to get a better result.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Not a candidate for facelift

You are very young and from your pictures I can tell you that you are not a candidate for facelift. If you want to rejuvenate your face and remove that sad look you mention, I recommend you a lower Blepharoplasty since you have fat pads under your lower eyelids, and we can permanently remove them with this surgery. I also close the tissue beneath them so they wont protrude again in decades. I cannot address your upper eyelids since you don't show them on the pictures, but from your age it is possible that you don't need any surgery there. Hope this answers your question.

Luis Pedroza, MD
Colombia Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facial aging

First of all, you look great so dont be so hard on yourself. Your profile looks like you might benefit from a chin implant and if so, that would be an appropriate procedure to consider for your facial balance. As far as a facelift, I dont think that is  appropriate at your age. Hope this helps!