1 month post op after BA; can I lift 10 pound weights?

I lift 10 pound weights?

Greetings
Thank you for your question, you would be a risk the best is is follow up with your Surgeon for the best advise and recommendation.

Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Post Op Lifting Restrictions

I advise my BA patients not to lift anything over 10 pounds for 6 weeks post op. Your Plastic Surgeon will be the best one to advise you about your post op activity restrictions.

All the best

Lifting weights after BA surgery

Thank you for your question, and you should be fine with this amount. It is best to discuss with your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon his/her specific recommendations as far as return to activity. The recovery after BA surgery varies widely from patient to patient as well as their level of discomfort during this time. Generally for my patients, the first 4-7 days are reserved for rest and overall recovery, and after that patients can slowly work their way back with gradual low risk activities. I prefer to wait at least 6-8 weeks for repetitive upper body lifting/movements and arm use so that the muscles, skin incisions and breast tissues have had adequate time to heal and settle before being stressed. The recovery routine will best be determined by your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon so be sure to touch base with him/her on their specific recommendations.

Benjamin J. Cousins MD

Benjamin J. Cousins, MD
Miami Beach Plastic Surgeon

1 month post op, some advices:

Thanks for the question.
In my practice, after performing a BA I recommend to my patients to limit the movement of the arms for two weeks. After that, you can move your arms taking care and always with common sense.
In this regard, it's not advisable to carry heavy weights to prevent the implant out of position, and allow the formation of the physiological capsule around the implant, also to avoid pain and breast swelling.
Kind regards,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Can I lift more than 10 lbs?

Congrats on your recent surgery! 10 lbs should be okay to lift at this point however I recommend you follow up with your surgeon since he or she may have different guidelines! 

Lifting 4 weeks after BA

Thanks to your question. Please contact your surgeons office and ask what your current limitations are.  You may actually be cleared but please double check.  Best of luck. 

Breast Augmentation - Post Op Exercise?

Thank you for your question. Most patients are cleared to exercise and perform lifting > 10 pounds 4 - 6 weeks following breast augmentation. You may return to walking and light lifting sooner, but would not perform any strenuous activity without clearance from your surgeon. It is best to have an in-person follow up examination for recommendations regarding what you should and should not be doing. Good luck with your recovery.

Activity after surgery

By 3-4 weeks after surgery, I allow my patients to do light aerobics and lifting 10 lb weights is probably ok. Best to ask your surgeon.

Lifting weights after breast augmentation surgery

It's always best to check with your surgeon about his or her protocol. I advise my patients they can return to the gym at three weeks for activities like running, aerobics, and lower body weights. Patients should listen to their bodies. I believe you could do upper body weights at that time but would probably be more comfortable closer to six weeks. I do allow my patients to pick up their children to transfer to high chair, car seat, and crib as early as the third day after surgery. For more information on this and similar topics, I recommend a plastic surgery Q&A book like "The Scoop On Breasts: A Plastic Surgeon Busts the Myths."

Ted Eisenberg, DO, FACOS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Exercise after breast augmentation surgery

Thank you for the question. Long-term patients who undergo breast augmentation surgery should be able to return to all activities with full strength.
Timing to return to specific types of exercise will vary from one patient to another. Best to check with your plastic surgeon for specific advice. Generally, I suggest patients gradually ease back into the strenuous aerobic exercise 4 to 6 weeks postoperatively, assuming that they are doing well and there have been no complications. Lower body exercise can generally be resumed 2 weeks postoperatively. Use common sense, listen to your body, and gradually resume previous activity. In my practice, I ask patients to avoid contact and strenuous exercise involving the pectoralis major muscles ( such as push-ups, bench press, burpees, dancing on a pole…) for at least 3-6 months. Best wishes.