Hi! I'm 18 days post "Mommy makeover" and have annoying strings. I'm wondering if these fall off on their own? (photo)

I had a tummy tuck, breast lift and augmentation and recent had my stitch around my belly button removed but I have thin white strings that are still poking out. Are these dissolvable? And I should wait for them to fall out? Or should I cut and trim them to make them "less annoying"? Is there future need for these? I'm clueless because I understood my internal stitching a were dissolvable. We're these just escape artists?! Including photos of how my recovery bandage looked and now. Thanks!!

Dissolvable Sutures

Most sutures dissolve on their own within a few weeks. Sutures are dissolvable but an ending knot, if present, should be removed within 1-2 weeks. Initial discomfort is easily controlled with oral medication. Light activities may be started in 7-10 days.

Now, if you find that these knots are still there it would be good to visit your surgeon right away to have them removed in order to avoid infection. You can have the area examined by you surgeon to make sure that the healing is progressing well and have the knots removed if they are still there. 

Mommy Makeover /Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/Tummy Tuck/Liposuction/BBL

I appreciate your question. I would recommend that you follow up with your surgeon so he/she can examine you at this time.The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.  Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.
Best of luck! Dr. SchwartzBoard Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon #RealSelfCORESurgeon

White Strings

The strings you are referring to are likely sutures that have not yet dissolved. Do not cut or pull them. I suggest making an appointment with the plastic surgeon who performed your procedures for an evaluation.

Audrey Klenke, MD
Hilton Head Island Plastic Surgeon

Have annoying strings. I'm wondering if these fall off on their own?

Although absorbable sutures are routinely used in surgery, if they are still present after 2 weeks and bothersome, you can ask your surgeon to remove them to minimize irritation.

Afshin Parhiscar, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Sutures after surgery

Thank you for your question and photos. There does appear to be some suture remnants at your incisions. You should see  your PS to have these removed. Best, Dr. Kludt

Nathan Kludt, MD
Stockton Plastic Surgeon

Suture material visible

From your photos, it appears that all of these sutures are the dissolvable type.  Sometimes, the deeper layer of dissolvable stitches come up through the skin before they entirely dissolve.  They are not dangerous, but can be annoying.  I would call your plastic surgeon's office and ask for an appointment with their nurse who can painless and quickly remove them.

These are sutures that can be removed by your surgeon.  While the suture material inside the body will dissolve, the material outside will not.  Contact your surgeon's office to get these removed.  It is quick and painless.

Camille Cash, MD