I just got juvederm and it looks too much. Is it because of swelling?

I got it around my mouth to get rid of folds but it seems I have no expression line at all now and that's not what I wanted. I wanted a more natural appearance. Is it just the swelling?

Swelling from Juvederm can last for up to a week

Swelling from Juvederm can last for up to a week in some people. I recommend being patient, and if you are still unsatisfied with your results after two weeks, follow up with your injector to see what can be done. Good luck! 

Baltimore Dermatologic Surgeon

If you have swelling after two weeks, some or all of the Juvederm may need to be removed

Hello, and thanks for your inquiry, If it is over 2 weeks since you had the Juvederm and you are still swollen, you may have been injected with too much. Another possibility is that your nasolabial folds were injected when the actual cause of the problem needed fixing by injection into another areas, such as your midface or the sides of your cheeks in front of your ears. The key to looking natural is to treat the actual cause of the problem rather than just what we see - in this case, your nasolabial folds. A third possibility is that you still have deep bruising which is causing prolonged swelling.

Fortunately, Juvederm can be easily removed if it has been misplaced or too much was injected, by injection of hyaluronidase to dissolve it. I recommend you consult a Board Certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon who is very experienced with fillers to figure out the best plan of action. If you're comfortable with the doctor who originally injected you, then go back and see him/her first.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,
Dr. Hema (Rockville, MD and Fairfax, VA).

Hema Sundaram, MD
Fairfax Dermatologic Surgeon

GIVE IT TIME

IT MAY BE THE SWELLING I WOULD GIVE IT ABOUT A WEEK TO SETTLE AND SEE HOW YOU FEEL FROM THERE, AND IF YOU ARE UNHAPPY GO SEE YOUR DOCTOR.

Elliot M. Heller, MD

Juvederm and Swelling

You should wait two weeks to evaluate the full effects of the injections.  It may be that you would have benefited more from Voluma injected into your cheeks to lift them away from the nasolabial lines.  Best, Dr. Green

Juvederm and swelling?

It is normal to be swollen for 2-3 days after Juvederm injection. wait at least 10 days so the material and swelling has completely settle down.

Hope this helps,
Dr. Gus Diaz

Gustavo A. Diaz, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hello Kellanns,

If you liked the way it looked at the end of the injection, that is close to what the final result will be.  The area around the mouth tends to swell more than most which is likely what you are seeing.  I would give it two weeks and if you still aren't happy then you can consider injecting the material that gets rid of it.  

I would recommend you discuss your concerns with your injector so he or she can provide more specifics.  

I hope this helps and good luck.  

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon

Filler around mouth

Most fillers cause more swelling around the mouth. It can take a week or two for the lips or perioral region to settle down.

Too much Juvederm

Since you don't say how many days it's been and have no photos posted, it's hard to give you a clear answer.  Suffice it to say that I tell my patients to judge the results of they Juvederm 10 days later.

It is important to discuss your needs, wishes, recovery time constraints, and budget limits with an honest and experienced surgeon, and receive bias-free personal advice. ALWAYS consult a surgeon who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, to ensure the highest standards of ethical practice and safe surgery.

Reza Momeni, MD FACS
American Board of Plastic Surgery
American Society of Plastic Surgeons
American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery

You might be swollen

Thank you for sharing your question. Without knowing when you were injected and without seeing photos, it is difficult to make an accurate assessment of your problem. You might be very swollen and appear great in a week. Cold compresses can help with swollen lips following Juvederm injections. Follow up with your injector if you are dissatisfied. Good luck.