Am I a good candidate for gynecomastia surgery? I want to look natural after surgery. What happens to the excess skin? (Photo)

I've had this issue for over 15yrs since a teenager it never went away after puberty, I want to live the rest of my life without Em, will scarring looking like I've had surgery when I take my shirt off and also how does the muscles under the hard tissue look after it's removed because it feels like the hard tissue took away from the muscle in other words I never has a normal chest so I'm nervous getting my chest done and also why can insurance cover it? 10k for this is hard to come up with.

Gynecomastia Surgery Techniques and the Costs

There are three types of surgical treatment options available that treat gynecomastia. The doctor will recommend the one that is best suited to each individual case. The excision technique is used on cases of #gynecomastia where excess skin and glandular breast tissue must be removed and the areola or nipple needs reduction and repositioning to create a natural looking appearance. The incision patterns are determined by the specific condition of the patient. The doctor will recommend this procedure which combines the liposuction technique and excision technique to create a natural look. Patients are given specific instructions for the recovery period.  Men who suffer from large #areolas may notice that after breast surgery, the skin of the chest muscles will tighten, causing the areolas to tighten and diminish in size. This is a result of the removal of glandular and/or adipose tissue.

#Surgery quotes should include the procedure itself, operating room facilities, anesthesia fees, surgeon’s fees, medical tests, post-surgery garments, prescription medication and other related costs. Most plastic surgery offices offer convenient finance plans that allow patients to pay a low monthly payment. Costs will also vary with geographic location. Estimated costs can be found here on, or

Lastly, it is crucial you select a plastic surgeon who is #board-certified and has a great deal of experience with male breast #reduction. Plastic surgeons who have specialized in breast surgery and cosmetic surgery are suitable to perform your procedure. Aside from checking board-certification, it is suggested that you look at before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients, and read patient reviews. Gathering all of this information will help you make a well-informed decision.

Gynecomastia Surgery

Gynecomastia is characterized by enlarged breast tissue and affects an astonishing 40 to 60% of men. Fortunately, the condition is often easily reversed with liposuction just by making a small incision under the nipple reducing the size of the breast using virtually a scarless technique. Liposuction with ultrasound and fine laser beams liquefy the fat and glandular tissue recontouring the breast around the areola and from the sides and bottom of the breasts. Because liposuction stimulates the skin to tighten, a smooth contour after fat is removed is possible. I recommend making an appointment with a board certified plastic surgeon who can go over your surgical options with you.

Michelle Copeland, MD, DMD

Thank you for the photo. I would approach this by performig agressive liposuciton to "decompress" the volume of the breast, then perform an exision of breast tissue.  Because your breasts hang, there will be skin redundancy that will have to be excised.  There are a few different approaches to this component.  The incision I choose leaves the scar (and there is no way to do this without a scar) in the natural fold of the chest where the muscle ends.  The areola will alos be reduced and repositioned on the chest wall.  You CAN get a flat chest. 

Tim Neavin, MD

Thanks for your question. My preferred treatment is to perform aggressive liposuction of the entire anterior chest and then make a small incision at the bottom edge of the areola to directly excise the remaining breast tissue. The skin usually tightens very well over several months and that is likely all you will need. If the skin doesn't retract in 6-12 months then a procedure to remove the excess skin might be needed, but that is unlikely and you would probably be left with shorter scars.

Insurance won't cover this procedure as it is considered cosmetic surgery. Meet with some board certified plastic surgeons in your area.  They can examine you and give you a realistic idea of what your results will be. Best of luck!

Jeff T. Healy, MD
Oahu Island Plastic Surgeon

Treatment of large gynecomastia

Unfortunately, yours is not the typical case of gynecomastia.  You have large, pendulous breasts and appropriate treatment would require excision of the excess tissues and skin as well as re-positioning of the nipples on the chest.  The nipples, by the way, can be made smaller in diameter during this process.

The results will be a trim, tight chest with normally located nipples.  The trade-off will be scars on your chest -- which will be permanent but which will fade in time.  You will certainly look and feel better in your clothes and you will be able to wear a tight T-shirt with no problem and you will not bounce and jiggle when you run.

If you want surgery, this is truly your only alternative.

I have a practice sub-specialty in gynecomastia surgery and would invite you to check out the photo gallery where I have a number of patients similar to you.  Recommend my web reference ww

Good luck!

Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
New York City

Excess skin & gynecomastia

Thanks for your question.  If there is major excess skin (as there appears to be in your case) it may not bounce back to a normal shape if only the underlying tissue is removed.  If this is the case, skin may need to be excised.  This will result in visible scars on the chest.

You look to have loose skin as well as either glandular/fatty tissue. You will need some sort of skin excision procedure to improve your appearance.

Very large male breast issue

Thanks for bringing to the forum what I'm sure is a difficult issue for you. I have had success in many cases like you with just using a Vaser liposuction and avoiding the scars. I also, in combination, have to do a corresponding excision of the remaining breast tissue through an incision below your nipple area. This skin will not be completely smooth with some Contour irregularities. You will, however, have a complete resolution of your dropping large breasts. Down the road, if you are not happy with some of the contouring irregularities of your chest skin, we can always do an excisional surgery which would leave scars in the area. Good luck Big Man. Not to worry, there are good treatment options for you. You just need to decide which is best for you. 

Sean T. Lille, MD