Can this be fixed? (Photos)

I have a normal nose except the bone part at the top of my nose is wider than the cartilage portion.. Creating 2 bumps on either side that are quite noticeable from an angle. How severe would the surgery be do you think?

Wide Bones

Based on you photos, your are correct - the bony prominence appears to be due to step off between the nasal bones the underlying nasal cartilages. This is often casued by previous trauma but can be genetic as well.A cosmetic rhinoplasty the surgery of choice to correct these deformities and reposition tissue in the nose for better aesthetics. This often involves removing the dorsal humps and narrowing the width of the nose. This can be achieved through a closed or open approach but is typically done in the OR under anesthesia. A detailed examination will help delineate the best treatment. Consultation with a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery would be the next best step.

Can this be fixed?

GreetingsThank you for your question. You are a good candidate for Rhinoplasty visit a board certified plastic surgeon There are different kinds of rhinoplasty operations however we can divide them as the one that requires bone excision and the one that does not need bone excision. The main fact that we classify the rhinoplasty operations like that is that the results and postoperative period is associated closely with this fact. In the operations like “nasal tip correction”, “simple rhinoplasty” there is no need for a bone excision however these minor operations cannot be beneficial for everyone. The operation type is need to be determined by the surgeon according to needs of the patient. In these minor operations the rhinoplasty is performed with closed method. The bone and the cartilage tissues are not involved in the surgery directly. Small nasal bumps can be removed in these operations.

Thank you for your question and photographs.I recommend that you schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in rhinoplasty to have a nasal examination performed and a review of your medical history to see if you are a good candidate for rhinoplasty. From the photographs you have posted, I believe you may benefit from a hump reduction and tip rhinoplasty. A dorsal hump can be removed by cutting out the extra cartilage along with filing of the bone to smooth out the bump. A tip rhinoplasty includes trimming the lower lateral cartilages and placing precision sutures to refine the tip and make it look more pleasing. Best of luck in your endeavors.
Sincerely, James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Can this be fixed?

Thank you for your query.You do have a dorsal hump and a deviated nose. These can all be corrected during rhinoplasty. I would suggest you find a Plastic Surgeon who carries out rhinoplasty on a regular basis.Kind regards.

Nasal Improvement

From the limited photos, it appears that you have a dorsal hump (bump on bridge of nose).  You also have asymmetry of the nasal bones.  A rhinoplasty would help to markedly improve the appearance of your nose by removing the dorsal hump, straightening the crooked nose, as well as providing nasal tip refinement.  A detailed in person consultation is the first step.  I have provided a link below.  Good Luck!

Anthony Corrado, DO
Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty for dorsal hump, crooked nose and wide bridge

A  closed rhinoplasty procedure can accomplish shaving down the dorsal hump, narrowing and straightening the bridge line with osteotomies, and adjusting the tip as necessary, with all of the incisions placed on the inside of the nose. This  rhinoplasty procedure would involve breaking the nose, also known as the osteotomies in order to straighten it and narrow it. For more information  and many examples including our current price list, please see the link and the video below

You would have to be seen in person to get a better appreciation for what may need to be done. It is hard to say from just two isolated photos.

Can this be fixed - dorsal hump?

Prominent nasal bridges and humps can be improved to achieve a better cosmetic result with an artistically performed natural appearing rhinoplasty. I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon with extensive nasal surgery experience who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) or a facial plastic surgeon (otolaryngologist) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.
Additional information about the procedure will help you decide if it is a procedure that
you want to pursue.
Robert Singer, MD FACS
La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, this can be fixed with osteotomies and a conservative dorsal hump reduction.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and not just a computer animation system. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

This would appear to be a fairly straightforward standard rhinoplasty. Typically less than one hour, general anesthesia, outpatient, very little pain afterwards though some activity restrictions.

Robert H. Hunsaker, MD