What's the difference between a tummy tuck and an extended tummy tuck?

Thank you for the question.  Generally speaking, the “ideal” patient for tummy tuck surgery is one who has completed pregnancies, is psycho socially/emotionally/financially stable, has an excellent social support system surrounding him/her, is capable of arranging enough recovery time, does not smoke and who has reached a long-term stable weight.

The "extended" tummy tuck surgery refers to an extension of the abdominoplasty incision to the flanks/lower back area; this operation is helpful when patients wish to improve the appearance of the sides (flanks)/lower back areas. In other words, the operation extends from the anterior abdominal wall to the flanks and back areas,  often involving additional skin/tissue excision and liposuction surgery.

In my practice, I recommend the extended tummy tuck to patients who have significant "excess" of adipose tissue and/or skin of the flank and back areas, where liposuction surgery alone will not suffice.  Patients who have lost skin elasticity in these areas, have a significant amount of diet/exercise adipose issue in these areas, and/or who wish to wear low riding jeans after surgery (and do not want to have a "muffin top" when they bend sideways) are potentially good candidates for the extended tummy tuck operation.   I hope this, and the attached link/video, helps. Best wishes.

Tummy tuck

Hello and thank you for your question. An extended tummy tuck involves a longer incision.  In the right patient, a tummy tuck can be done through a low and short incision, all completely below the bikini line.  Your muscles can also be plicated resulting in a flat abdomen.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.  The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Difference between Tummy Tuck and Extended Tummy Tuck

During modern tummy tuck procedure, liposuction of fat and tighening of the muscle is done And the  skin is pulled down andextra skin is cut below bikini line. Length  of the skin depends on  the amount of extra skin. If it is in front only its TT, if it extend by side   its extended TT  and total cicumferance its Belt plasty Please discuss with your plastic surgeon  what will be probale length and extent o f skin incision in your body  to get fair idea. All The Best

Milan Doshi, MCh
India Plastic Surgeon

Extended vs. Regular tummy tuck

As the name suggests, an extended tummy tuck extends the length of the incision around the sides, but not all the way around the back.  When I perform an extended tummy tuck it's because the patent has excess skin that extends further than the limits of a traditional tummy tuck, and so the incision needs to be extended in order to remove the additional skin.

Isaac Starker, MD
Morristown Plastic Surgeon

TT vs Extended

Thank you for your question. Tummy tuck also known as abdominoplasty, involves removing fat and saggy skin and repairing the abdominal muscles that have been stretched out due to age, pregnancy, weight gain/loss etc. An extended tummy tuck not only is your full abdomen addressed, but also the outer areas of your body, like your love handles.Hope this helps,Dr. Newall

German Newall, MD

TT vs Extended TT

For me, an extended tummy tuck takes the incision further widened around the sides. This is used depending on the amount of skin needing to be removed. I use the term circumferential tummy tuck if it goes all the way around to the back. The other term for this is a lower body lift. I would recommend you see a board certified plastic surgeon to recommend which procedure is best indicated for you.

Rick Rosen, MD
Norwalk Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck vs Extended tummy tuck

Hello Chanel,  thank you for your question.   The tummy tuck procedure is the technique were we make a resection of a significant amount of skin below the belly button along with the muscle repair.   The incision used on the regular tummy tuck is held in the waist area and doesn't extend to the back area.  Conversely,  the extended tummy tuck place the incision all around to the waist area into the back.   It's indicated for patients with excessive amount of skin not only in the front t abdomen but also in the lower back area.   Have a great day. 

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

TT vs Extended tummy tuck

Thank you for your question.The only difference between a traditional tummy tuck and an extended tummy tuck is a longer incision. The extended tummy tuck removes excess skin from your flanks and improves muscle laxity in the flank and hip region. I would recommend for you to schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon so they can perform a full body examination and see which technique you are a candidate for. I hope this helps.
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Extended tummy tuck

Not much. An extended tummy tuck just means that the surgeon is carrying the incision a bit further (wider) than usual due to redundant skin of the flank (love handles). In short, it just means the scar is longer. 

Elan B. Singer, MD