Should I call the dr now or can this wait until Monday? (photo)

Yesterday I noticed the scab under my left breast was loosening and starting to ooze. Today I used a piece of gauze while wearing my bra. When I took off my bra the gauze came off with the whole scab and it bled for about 5 minutes. I'm trying to let it air out now. Can this wait a few days until I see the dr?

Wound issue

It looks like you have some loss of skin that has now developed into small open wounds. This often goes on to heal with local wound care.  Best of luck.

Should I call the doctor now?

Typically practices have a physician on call. I would call and let your doctor know what happened. Best of luck to you. 

Wound separation

If my patient sent me this photo I would make sure she was on antibiotics, have her wash the wound gently with soap and water daily, and keep it covered with a small amount of antibiotic ointment twice a day.  That's just me.  Let your plastic surgeon who did the operation decide this for you, and I'm sure will not be a bother.  Just send them a pic via a secure line.

Dr. Subbio
Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon
Newtown Square/Philadelphia, PA

Christian Subbio, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Breast evaluation

Hello and thank you for your question. I recommend calling your surgeon now and sending him/her a photograph.   It depends on if there is an implant in your breast.  Overall, you should be okay, but it is very good to keep in close contact with your surgeon in the immediate post-operative period.  If you have a concern, don't wait until Monday.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Call the doctor.

What you are seeing is  some wound healing separation. It is not scary to me , and does not look infected. It will likely heal in, but requires proper management. Your doctor should be aware. you can heven send your PS  a photo. I would recommend you give your PS a call. 

Adam Tattelbaum, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Wound Care

Thank you for the question and photo. It never hurts to contact your surgeon when you are concerned. They or some one on call should be able to advise you about wound care until you can be seen in person. Typically washing the area with soap and water then keeping clean and covered is a good short term solution. Go ahead and call or email them.

Take care 

Call your surgeon asap

It looks like you’re experiencing issues with wound healing. It’s best to see your surgeon as soon as possible.

Wound issues

You certainly need to make your doctor aware of this in the next 48 hours and he or she should check the wound and make a plan for dressings to allow it to heal

Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision

I appreciate your question.

Since there has been a change in your post op course, please contact your surgeon so he/she can examine you and recommend the most appropriate treatment plan at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

Contacting the Surgeon about Concerns During Healing

Healing will go on for 2-3 months for the early period.  There may be some swelling, bruising, malposition, color differences.   Sensation will be abnormal.  Scars will be changing. If my patients have concerns that something is unusual about their healing process, it is important for them to call the office and discuss these concerns or come in to be examined.

Always contact your plastic surgeon if you have concerns about post-operative infection, bleeding, swelling, fever, excessive bruising, or any new and sudden changes in the feeling or look of your implants, breasts or incisions.

Any of the following may be post-op difficulties, about which it is best to contact your surgeon directly:

·       Excessive bleeding (hematoma) and bruising

·       Reduced sensation of #nipple

·       Deflation/rupture

·       Capsular contracture

·       Wrinkling/rippling. Palpable and/or visible

·       Firmness, and distorted appearance

·       Interference with breast feeding

·       Mammogram interference

·       Cost for revision surgery if necessary

·       Calcium deposits in the tissue around the implant

·       Breast tissue atrophy/chest wall deformity

·       Hypertrophic scarring

·       Tissue loss

·       Infection requiring antibiotics or implant removal

#Hypertrophic or #keloid scars can be a problem.  The worst are usually under the breast with an #AnchorLift or inverted “T”.  These can be treated like all thickened scars with re-excision, laser, kenalog/5-FU injections, creams, silicone strips and other methods to reduce and improve healing. So, if any of these seem like a potential it is best to contact your surgeon's office right away to have the area examined for proper healing. Good luck!