Is it normal for both breasts drop at significantly different rates? (photos)

I had my BA on june 13th. Im 18 days PO and im noticing that my left breast hasny dropped noticibly at all while my right looks fuller and in place. I know my incisions had to be in different places because my left was smaller to begin with but im just scared that they will be crooked and heal drastically different.

Is it normal for both breasts drop at significantly different rates?

Greetings 

Thank you for your question. You are going to see the difference just after the procedure. However it is necessary to wait for some time in order to see the final result. After the breast augmentation operation the recovery period depends on your physical status, age, general health and condition mainly. The operation itself does not take too long therefore you receive a mild anesthesia. Since the anesthesia that you receive is mild; you will not have problems associated with anesthetic agents after the operation. This is especially important and can be achieved with only a team of plastic surgeons like we have. After the operation you will be advised to wear a corset in order to reduce the edema. You can start to do your daily activities just after the operations but we do not advise you heavy lifting, running or activities that require excess physical activity. The more you rest, the faster your recovery will be.

18 Days Post Op

Thank you for your question. Breasts often heal a bit differently from each other and can settle at different rates- especially when their are asymmetries to begin with. I recommend that you wait until closer to 6 months post op to evaluate your results.

All the best

Breast Implants Settling Unequally........

It is not uncommon for breast implants to settle at different rates, especially with different size implants, but this is sometimes a sign of a problem.  When they settle at different rates, they usually wind up at different levels.  This can be due to the development of capsular contracture.   You should definitely see your plastic surgeon and get his/her recommendations after they examine you.   

Postop Concerns

I appreciate your concerns but way too early to worry. Your body needs time to heal and adapt to the implants. The skin and muscle over the implants must stretch a bit to allow the implants to settle into their final position. It is not uncommon for one breast to lag behind the other. While your appearance will improve fairly quickly, don't expect to see your final result for at least 6 months after surgery. Good Luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD

Both Breasts Dropping at Significantly Different Rates

It's still early in your healing process. #Healing will continue for 2-3 months following your #Augmentation #Mastopexy procedure. There may be some swelling, bruising, malposition, color differences. Sensation will be abnormal. Scars will also be changing.
But, it can be up to one year see your final result. Your doctor may require you to move or massage the implants within the breast pockets during the #postoperative period. #Textured implants do not require breast massage. You will be informed about this at your post-operative visit.
Also, the two breasts commonly heal quite differently so #assymetry is not unusual. One breast may swell more, feel more uncomfortable, or have a different initial shape. After complete #healing, they will be more similar and natural. You must have patience, but if this causes concern, ask questions of the doctor or the nursing staff.

Breasts and implants

It is fairly common to see one breast drop quicker than the other side. Likewise, one may feel more firm too.

Breasts

There are always left to right differences before and after any breast procedure. It is very normal for them to heal and settle differently.

Close follow up with your plastic surgeon is recommended during this time.

Thank you for your question. Your plastic surgeon will always be your best resource when it comes to an accurate assessment of your situation, advice, predictions, and/or meaningful reassurance. Generally speaking, breast implants will "drop" into the pocket that was created during surgery and massaging the implants downward may assist in the dropping of the implants after surgery (for those patients who want to help with the settling of the implants). The rate of breast implant "settling" may depend on factors such as size of breast implant pocket dissected, tightness of the overlying skin/muscle layers, and size of breast implant utilized.
Normally, it takes about 3-6 months (for some patients longer) to see the final result. It is very common for one side to settle faster than the other.
Sometimes, one or both breasts implants do not settle as planned and revisionary breast surgery becomes necessary to improve the outcome. On other occasions, if the long-term breast asymmetry is mild ( understanding that absolute symmetry is very rarely achieved), patients will need to decide whether proceeding with revisionary breast surgery is worth the potential downsides associated with additional surgery.
Again, best to follow your plastic surgeon for more specifics. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be pleased with long-term.

yes, smaller  higher breasts drop slower then larger lower breasts and perfect symmetry is usually impossible.  However if the smaller breast stays too high a revision can be done. For more information on breast asymmetry please read the low: