I am 12 days post op from a tummy tuck and am wondering if I should be concerned at how my belly button is looking. (Photo)

Yesterday started with crusting and slight drainage. No odor but a bit red around the edges. Should I be concerned and get into my Dr sooner rather than later . My next scheduled appt is 10 days away.

Belly button

It's hard to tell from your photos if there is something going on with your belly button. The best thing to do is to discuss your concerns with your surgeon.

Belly button after a tummy tuck

Hi. Based on your picture, that looks within the realm of what I would expect for your time frame after surgery. However, if you have any questions about that as well as the whole process during the recovery, I would encourage you to call your surgeon so that he or she is aware of things and also can help give you their advice on the best way to proceed. They will let you know if they think you should come in sooner than your next scheduled appointment. Good luck and take care, Dr. Howell

Belly button trouble after a tummy tuck.

Every single belly button secured with a fast absorbing suture looks like yours at day ten. This doesn't mean you should ignore the redness or crusty stuff. If your surgeon was a board certified plastic surgeon she, or he, will offer you good advice on the care of belly buttons, after a tummy tuck. Good luck and thank you for sharing your photo, it helps educate others. 

Ayman Hakki, MD
Waldorf Plastic Surgeon

Bellybutton issues

From your photo alone, the redness would appear typical of the inflammation associated with sutures around the bellybutton. However, you should call your plastic surgeon so that he or she can decide on whether or not he should be seen. Usually, redness is more pronounced with an infection, and it gets worse, has foul drainage, odor, etc. Call your plastic surgeon and he or she should be happy to advise you further.
Dr. Subbio
Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon
Newtown Square/Philadelphia, PA

Christian Subbio, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Belly button problems

It's hard to tell from your photograph just what's going on in your belly button. I can tell you from experience, that most of the time the redness surrounding the belly button is related to the sutures and not infection. Usually some dried blood will accumulate in the bellybutton making it look suspicious for skin necrosis. At this point, there's really not much you could do should the bellybutton not having adequate blood supply. I would have my patients clean this area with a dilute hydrogen peroxide solution prior to showering. Then place an antibiotic ointment over the area. I would ask your plastic surgeon what their recommendations would be based on their examination. Congratulations on your surgery.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

12 days post op. Some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.
At this point (2 weeks post-po) the swelling is normal.
To reduce it, I recommend you perform daily lymphatic drainage massage therapy over the abdomen and wear a postoperative girdle from thigh to the breasts.
Kind regards,
Dr. Emma Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Looking good

Your belly button looks good from what I see.  If you have any concerns, please contact your plastic surgeon.