Is it possible during facelift surgery to permanently, purposefully destroy chin hair follicles?

I have a lot of chin hair (white now) that I have spent years trying to get rid of through electrolysis but my skin is thick and the roots I believe are never penentrated. I am looking for a more novel solution.

Chin Hair Removal

Yes, it can be done as part of your facelift -- the hair follicle can be removed or cauterized from underneath the skin flap. Schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon to be assessed in person and discuss. 

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Chin Hair Removal

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Facial contouring #fatgrafting #beauty #tmbcosmeticsurgery #woundhealing #facelift

Dear Contemplator

Thank  you for your question!  If the hair follicles are adjacent and accessible- then they can be cauterized from underneath the skin flap.

With Warm Regards

Trevor M Born MD

Dear Contemplator

With Warm Regards

Trevor M Born MD

Greetings

Thank you for your question. Removal of the hair follicles yes this can be done using can be done using a small incision under the chin.

Greetings

Chin hair removal from under the skin

Technically speaking, yes;; chin hair can be removed from the undersurface, it will require some careful elevation of the skin over the chin and removal of the offending hair follicles, better to discus with your potential surgeon at its going to be a time consuming endeavor. 

Chin hair removal from under the skin

Chin Hair Removal

Direct removal of the hair follicles (roots) can be done using a small incision under the chin. From the underside of the skin the roots can be seen and removed. How small or long that incision would need to be done depends on where and how many hairs need to be removed.

Chin Hair Removal

If you mean chin, like on the point of the chin like a goatee I don't think that would be  feasible or even effective. The skin is thick there, it is not a place that is usually dissected, it's hard to get to and because the skin is thigh a lot of the hair follicles wouldn't even be visible.   Scarring could distort the area.   I wouldn't do it.

Even when you cauterize visible hair follicles when visible below the skin, it's only about 50% effective.  

Purposefully destroying hair follicles during a Facelift procedure

If the hair follicles are on top of the area that is being dissected for a facelift procedure in the chin area, then the hair follicles cells can be surgically cauterized at the level of the hair-bulb and destroyed.

Facelift

Hello and thank you for your question. It depends on the location.  Any hair inferior to the mandible could be addressed.  The area above the most anterior portion of the chin should not be dissected during a facelift procedure.   If good technique is used, a facelift can be done with minimal scarring and can result in a natural look, not over-done look, with rejuvenation of your face.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Facelift

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon