Just a little Botox for crows feet possible?

Hello, I am a happy person and smile a lot. As a result I have very deep and a lot of permanent wrinkles around my eyes (crows feet and under eye). I am considering Botox, but I'am afraid that it would change the way I smile. Ideally I'd like just to just soften my wrinkles, not completely erase them. I would like to still be able to have the same facial expressions, just less intense. Is this possible with less Botox? Or does less Botox mean it won't last as long?

Botox for Crow's Feet

A little Botox would be perfect in the area around the eyes in the crow's feet area.  I call this adding "baby Botox".  You might also consider eMatrix to the  area under the eyes to help with those fine lines as well.  Best, Dr. Green

Botox for crows feet

Because the wrinkles that form around the eyes are dynamic wrinkles, they are the most prevalent when moving and working the facial muscles. For this reason, Botox injections work well because Botox is a neuromodulator that prevents the muscle from contracting. When the muscles causing the crow’s feet cannot contract, the area remains smooth and has a more youthful appearance. A few strategically placed Botox injections can make a big difference, so ask your dermatologist if Botox is right for you. Doses can be adjusted on an individual basis so a little Botox may help.

Robert A. Weiss, MD
Baltimore Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox

Because the wrinkles that form around the eyes are dynamic wrinkles, they are the most prevalent when moving and working the facial muscles. For this reason, Botox injections work well because Botox is a neuromodulator that prevents the muscle to which it is injected from contracting. When the muscles causing the crow’s feet cannot contract, the area remains smooth and practically wrinkle-free.

Ava Shamban, MD
Santa Monica Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox Baby steps

Dear Mom of Toddlers:

Less Botox, Be Happy!

The art of Botox is in the talent and technique of the injector understanding the anatomy and the unique desires of the patient. Botox is a muscle relaxer. When used precisely to the muscles one wishes to weaken, other muscles will pull without resistance and provide a more balanced appearance or relaxation of wrinkles.

Yes, there can be too much Botox used in an area which will saturate and diffuse the nearby muscles also causing them to relax and changing the balance of the appearance. 

Many patients start with "baby" steps and use more Botox but in other areas to achieve a more harmonious look. 

Choose a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon or ENT Facial Surgeon with artistic injectables skills for your best evaluation and recommendations. 

All the best!

Dean P. Kane, MD, FACS

Neuromodulators can be used in moderation or low doses to help crowsfeet

Because the amount of neuromodulator (Botox, Dysport and Xeomin) necessary to soften crowsfeet depends on the severity of the problem, we individualize the treatment, and charge only for the number of units needed.

Margaret Weiss, MD
Baltimore Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox for the treatment of periorbital rhytids

Botox for the treatment of Crow's feet is the most effective treatment for softening the appearance of these wrinkles and improving their appearance.  Botox for this area will relax the underlying muscle (orbicularis oculi) and not allow it to create harsh wrinkles during smiling.  

While you can use a smaller dose of Botox, generally the Crow's feet area looks very natural even when fully treated.  The dosage necessary to adequately treat this area is more related to the amount of surface area being treated rather than the strength of the muscle.  

Donald B. Yoo, MD

Botox for Crow's feet

Botox has been used for almost 20 years to help ease the wrinkles and aging lines we don't like.  First thing to keep in mind is you need to seek out a provider that is very knowledgeable about the use and risks of Botox.  May a suggest a plastic surgeon- we know the local anatomy.  Go get a consultation and see what the local plastic surgeon can do for you.  Try a few units and see what the results are. You can add more units in the future.   

Jay H. Ross, MD, FACS
Palm Harbor Plastic Surgeon

Botox and crow's feet

The smile should not be affected by Botox injections for the crow's feet. It only affects the smile if they are "chased" down the cheek where the "smile" muscles are located.

Without examining you it is difficult to be certain what would work best for you. The efficacy of Botox depends in part on how severe your wrinkles are but in general your thoughts are all accurate and what you are suggesting should be completely doable. The only way to know for sure is to book a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon near you to see what your options are. Best of luck!  

Mathew A. Plant, MD, FRCSC

Small amount of Botox around crows feet will lessen wrinkles

You are right in 2 aspects. The duration of action of Botox is directly related to the dosing, so you might get 2 or 2.5 months out of suboptimal dosing. You can test the waters with lower dosing of Botox to get some improvement but not complete improvement in your crows feet.

Steven F. Weiner, MD