Breast reduction. Two weeks after, I had a hematoma, drained, stitched, still hurts a lot. Is this normal?

two weeks after i woke up and one breast was twice the size of the other. i went in and he drained it (kidney color blood) for 40 minutes and then stitched it up then it up. he removed drain and said to put bandaid on two areas that were had openings from incisions. I am changing bandaids ( large bandaids twice a day) but it still really hurts. Is this normal and how long does it hurt.

Lipo-lift, breast lift, breast reduction, mastopexy, benelli, augmentation mastopexy

I appreciate your question.

I perform a liposuction breast lift that removes tissue from the areas you don't want such as near the armpit and the lower portion hanging near your stomach. Once I use this to shape the breast I then remove the skin to tighten the breast and create a better shape with nice cleavage. Since I perform this less invasively the recovery time is faster. The size would depend on the proportion with your body versus going for a cup size. It works very well if there are asymmetries. I can also use the removed fat as a natural breast augmentation by grafting the fat back into the breast to create more projection or into the top to create more cleavage. This procedure can also be combined with an implant if needed or wanted.  It should not affect nipple sensation, mammograms, cancer risk or breast-feeding. If you gain or lose weight, the transferred fat can do the same.

Any complications increase healing time and pain.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.  Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic plastic surgery.  

Dr. Schwartz 

#RealSelf100Surgeon 

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

Breast reduction

It can take some time for the pain and discomfort to settle. I would keep in touch with your PS as the wounds are healing. Having a haematoma should not affect the long term results. 

Gary L. Ross, MBChB, FRCS
Manchester Plastic Surgeon

Post breast reduction haematoma

Haematomas are a recognised complication. If dealt with quickly then they tend not to have long term issues.

Treating open wounds may need a bit more attention to enable good healing, but regular contact with your surgeon should enable this

Mansoor Khan, BSc(Hons), MD, FRCS(Plast)
Southampton Plastic Surgeon