I have a huge lump under my chin. How long will it take for it to go away completely? (Photos)

The lump is located on the left side of my chin and neck. I had the the Kybella treatment done two and a half weeks ago. I was administered two vials of the treatment. I did not have a bad chin before. Just a small amount of fat underneath. I am 50 years old. I physically active. Now when I lift my head upwards, I can feel it pulling my chin and neck skin. I look worse than I did before I got the treatment.

When will post op Kybella swelling resolve?

In general, most of the swelling following a Kybella treatment resolves itself in 2-4 weeks. However, every patient heals at her own rate so sometimes it may take longer. Don't despair. What you are experiencing is normal and shows that the Kybella is working. 

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after Kybella

Hello, and thanks for your question and photos. Most swelling resolves within the first week, but rarely can persist for a month or so. The nodules you are feeling are expected and indicate that the treatment is working. These should improve as well. Swelling is generally worst after the first treatment. Best of luck, Dr. Frucht.   

Corey Frucht, MD, PhD
Santa Barbara Dermatologic Surgeon

Lump after Kybella

This is normal to experience after a Kybella treatment. It is essentially areas where the fat cells have been destroyed and now the body has developed an inflammatory reaction in these areas to clean it up. Over time these will soften and the overlying skin will contract for a more refined chin contour. The first treatment is usually when the swelling is at its worst. 

Michael T. Somenek, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after Kybella is expected, and in some case can be prolonged.  Most patients' swelling resolves after 5-7 days.  On occasion, patients who have more dramatic swelling may experience swelling for up to 4-6 weeks. The good news is that it will resolve, and that this is a good sign that the treatment is working.  Don't worry... most patients don't have as much swelling with their subsequent treatments.  The first treatment usually produces the worst swelling!

Lump after Kybella

Kybella is an injectable treatment designed to address the double chin. Diffuse swelling in the area is common and can be seen for one to two weeks after a treatment. Nodules or lumps are also possible after a treatment. These usually resolve on their by four weeks so it is important to be patient. Also remember that most people require two to four treatments, sometimes up to six treatments, so the results will improve slowly over several months. I recommend visiting your doctor for further specific recommendations. Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician

Swelling after Kybella

Swelling after Kybella can be profound in some patient.  Generally, the more injected and the larger amount of fat, the more swelling occurs.   Swelling may occasionally last 4-6 weeks in some patients.  Ice and anti-inflammatories may help with the swelling; however, if it is persistent see your physician to evaluate for the possibility of a local steroid injection.

Kyle Coleman, MD
New Orleans Dermatologic Surgeon

Kybella-Lumps and Swelling

Hello Dansngirl,Thank you for your question. No need to worry, The lumps are the destroyed fat cells. Your body will eliminate those lumps. The swelling and numbness can last up to 4 weeks after being injected. Hope this helps!Dr Faraz

Kybella Post Treatment

Thank you for your questions! Kybella swelling typically occurs one to two days after treatment, and can last up to one week. Some patients do experience some hardened lumps for up to 4 weeks following treatment.  The most commonly reported side effects are bruising, redness of the area, and numbness, all of which subside spontaneously in a short period of time.

Brian S. Glatt, MD, FACS
Morristown Plastic Surgeon

Kybella and Lumps

Thanks for your question!
It is not unusual to have lumps and bumps after Kybella treatments,  In fact, this type of swelling is proof that the treatment is working on dissolving your fat cells!  I typically tell my patients to expect to feel swollen for 2-4 weeks post injections.
Best of luck to you!

Swelling after Kybella

This is not unusual at 2 1/2 weeks- you can begin some gentle massage.  Most of the swelling typically resolves by 4 weeks but some induration (thickening) from the inflammatory process can take a little longer.  The good news is that this swelling is the Kybella working to reduce your fat. 

Jonathan Hall, MD