Will a Breast Augmentation still look natural on a female with turner syndrome?

I am a 39 yr old female with turner syndrome. I am thinking about a BA but i am wondering if it will look natural as i barley have any natural boobs now (38a) and with a BA will there still be a space as there is now

Turner Syndrome

There is no contraindication to this surgery based on having Turner Syndrome and the naturalness of the result will depend on the pre-existing anatomy and how the surgery is performed including implant type, position and size

Turners Syndrome and Breast implants

Thank you for your question. I'm sorry I did not have the opportunity to reply sooner as it this an interesting question. Patients with Turners syndrome may have a broader or wider chest wall and in some cases a wider sternal space. We often see this kind of chest wall even in patients without Turners though. The key is to educate the patient thoroughly, and find the best balance.

Submuscular augmentation in any patient with minimal breast tissue will lend itself to a more natural result. In the submuscular plane we place the implants as close to the midline as possible to enhance cleavage, but we don't lift off the muscle from the sternum which could lead to synmastia (breadloafing). A patient with a narrower sternal space will have more cleavage, a patient with a wider sternal space may have less. The key is to educate  the patients about what to expect.

Patients with a broad chest , such as a Turners patient will require a wider implant to achieve a sense of balance. Too narrow may actually look less natural.

In my own practice I find it helpful to try on actual implant sizers in consultation. I think looking at sizers on their own body help patients to visualize the sense of the breast proportion with the width of the shoulders and the hips. Once we find a width that we like we then look at high, moderate or low profile implants to consider the projection that achieves the patients goals.

I have included a link below that talks about how I approach sizing in any patient, let alone a Turners patient. I hope it is helpful to you.

Adam Tattelbaum, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

The best way may be to have small implants such as the 410 shaped gel implants from Allergan or Mentor CPG that will give you some nice shape definition. Afterwards, have some fat grafting to add volume, or consider one of the new hyaluronic acid "body fillers" from Revanesse.

Mahmood Kara, MD

Challenging esthetic cases require careful planning

As a patient with Turner's syndrome, you are still likely an excellent candidate for breast augmentation. In fact, many patients who have a paucity of breast tissue seek this procedure. Silicone implants are more likely in this situation, and anatomic (tear drop) gummy bear implants may be a consideration as well. Determining which options are best for you is achieved at consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon familiar with challenging esthetic and reconstructive breast surgery. Thanks for your question. 

Steven Goldman, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Natural outcome

Since it can look natural on a biological male to female transgender patient, it should be possible to natural on a patient with Turner's syndrome.

Breast augm

Your breasts should be analyzed carefully to optimize the best choice of implants to achieve your goals. The Vectra 3 dimensional imaging system may be helpful to determine the type of implant that may be best. However a skilled board certified ASAPS plastic surgeon should be seen in consultation. Try on implants in a tight bra during your consultation to get a feel for your new possible look. Good luck...

Larry Weinstein, MD
Morristown Plastic Surgeon

Breasts augmentation in turner syndrome patient

Dear Lilli,   Front and side view pictures would have been very helpful. Turner syndrome  should not affect your breasts augmentation surgery, since the anatomy of the chest is normal and you just have small breasts, which will improve dramatically with breasts implants. The procedure will be one of your best investment in yourself. It will increase your confidence, self esteem, sense of femininity and will make shopping fun...   You have to realize though, that not all results are the same, because experience, skills and aesthetic eye are critical for good outcome. So do your due diligence carefully and choose your surgeon wisely.   Always, consult with board certified plastic surgeons who operate in accredited surgery center for your safety. Most importantly, check the before and after pictures in the photo gallery, to make sure that they are numerous, consistent and attractive with nice cleavage, perky, symmetrical and natural looking. Also, check the reviews on 'RealSelf' for ratings and positive experience reports.                         Best of luck,                                                Dr Widder

Breast Augmentation in Turner syndrome

Many patients receiving breast augmentation have very little breast tissue so you are not alone in this situation.  Your doctor will assist you in selecting a size that will safely fit when he or she creates the space for the implant.  He may recommend a gel, rather than a saline implant for an optimal result, but of course this is something you can discuss at your consultation.

Ian Lonergan, DO
Wilmington Plastic Surgeon

Will a breast augmentation still look natural on a female with turner syndrome?

Hi there, thank you for your question. Turner syndrome should not affect the results of a breast augmentation. It is best to be evaluated in person by a plastic surgeon. It is difficult to provide accurate information without an in person assessment. 

Martin Jugenburg, MD