My mother whom had silicone implants in the mid to late 1970s was in a car accident yesterday

my mom had a car accident yesterday & the seatbelt has caused bad Bruising & a large lump on her breast. Should she seek medical attention? She had her implants done in the mid to late 70's which wld make them silicone. She is 70 yrs old.she has multiple health complications. She did not seek medical attention. Should she and how soon?

Doctor Answers 12

Car Accident Post Breast Implants?

Thank you for your question! I would definitely seek a board certified plastic surgeon and express your concerns. Best of luck!

Dr Dhaval Patel
Double Board Certified
Plastic Surgeon
Hoffman Estates
Oak Brook

Hoffman Estates Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 88 reviews

Car accident post breast implants

I am really sorry to hear what happened to your mother.I would advise that she definitely seek medical attention.There could have been implant rupture or it could possibly be a hematoma which is bleeding that would need to be evacuated.There may also be injuries to her body that are not evident, so seeking medical attention after a car accident is always advisable.I hope this helps.

Reps B. Sundin, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 27 reviews

Car accident and breast implants

I am sorry to hear that your mother was in a car accident; even with the advent of seat belts and air bags, car accidents are still very scary.I would recommend that your mother seek medical attention immediately, especially given her age and medical concerns.The implant may have ruptured, or she could have a hematoma that requires evacuation.There could also be other internal injuries that are not immediately obvious.My best wishes to her and you.

Burton M. Sundin, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 56 reviews

Car accident/Silicone


Thank you for your question. A person of her age with multiple health complications as your mentioned should seek medical attention after a collision regardless, in order to rule out any injuries which might not be apparent immediately. Her primary care physician will be able to order imaging tests to determine if her implant has been compromised. She could certainly book a consultation with a board certified Plastic Surgeon as well to discuss removal/replacement if necessary.

All the best

Jerome Edelstein, MD
Toronto Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 173 reviews

Breast Implants/ Breast Augmentation/ Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/ Breast Implant Revision Surgery

I appreciate your question.

Yes, I would certainly recommend she see a board certified plastic surgeon to rule out implant rupture or a her primary care doctor  for a examination.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Best of luck!

Dr. Schwartz

Jaime S. Schwartz, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 82 reviews

My mother whom had silicone implants in the mid to late 1970s was in a car accident yesterday

Sorry to hear about your mother's car accident.  She should definitely seek medical care since she is having problems.  The bruising of her chest and the large lump on her breast may indicate a ruptured breast implant.  An ultra sound or a MRI of the breast would help identify problems with her breast implants.  Best wishes to your mother. 

Jeanette Padgett, MD, FACS
Oklahoma City Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 9 reviews

Car accident and 40 year old implants

Sorry to hear about your mom's accident and hope she is other fine (altho I'm sure sore).  In all likelihood these implants were already ruptured and contained within the capsule.  I would recommend she see a plastic surgeon and probably have him/her order an MRI scan to evaluated the implants.  Obviously her overall health comes before any implant surgery.  Wishing her well, Dr. Schuster in Boca Raton

Steven Schuster, MD, FACS
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon
4.0 out of 5 stars 6 reviews

Breast Implant

Thank you for your question.
So sorry your mom was in a car accident & hope she has a quick recovery. I would certainly recommend she see a plastic surgeon or a visit to her family physician for a examination. Best of luck.

Brian K. Reedy, MD
Reading Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 141 reviews

Seek medical attention after car accident and lump in the breast?

Yes… I would definitely have your mom looked at by a plastic surgeon. If there is concern for implant rupture, they should be removed, at a minimum.

It is imperative that you seek the advice of a plastic surgeon who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and has extensive experience in breast augmentation.

I wish you the best.

Dr. Gabbay.

Joubin Gabbay, MD
Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 19 reviews

My mother whom had silicone implants in the mid to late 1970s was in a car accident yesterday

Thank you for your question and I hope your mother is doing better.  As the car accident seems to have been fairly violent - your mother having developed a "seatbelt sign" and change to the appearance of her breast - best to be evaluated as a trauma patient in her local ER.  This can rule out significant injuries while also allowing for examination of her implant integrity. Hope this helps. 

Nelson Castillo, MD
Atlanta Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 54 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.