I had an eye lift surgery done 4 months ago and my right eye is still drooping.

Dr told me to use IOPIDINE OP 0.5% bid for a month The eyelid is still drooping when drops aren't used. For how long should I use these drops.

Eye Still Drooping After Eye Lift Surgery

Iopidine (also known as apraclonidine) causes the muscles of the upper eyelid, specifically Muller's muscle, to contract. This contraction elevates your eyelid by about 2 to 3 mm. Iopidine is normally used after Botox that has caused eyelid ptosis/drooping. In cases where Botox is causing the drooping, there should be improvement nearly 100% of the time. However after eyelid surgery, it may be necessary to undergo revision surgery as it's possible the muscle was injured or not properly reattached. It may be prudent to wait for up to six months after surgery before any further intervention. Best of luck.  

Sacramento Physician

Droopy Eyelids after Botox can be treated with apraclonidine

Thank you for your question wmacdonald. Drooping of the eyelids is a rare side effect of Botox treatments. In such cases using apraclonidine (Iopidine) 0.5% ophthalmic solution twice daily will elevated the upper eyelid. This side effect normally resolves after two to four weeks. If the droopiness is due to surgery, then a revision may be necessary. Please follow up with your doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician

Eye droop after surgery

Iopidine drops are for eyelid drooping following botulinum injections and wont work in this case. see a board certified oculoplastic surgeon for a consulatation

Melvin Elson, MD
Nashville Dermatologist

Eyelid ptosis persists after blepharoplasty

It sounds like you have eyelid ptosis, which needs muscle tightening, not skin removal. Drops won't work. See an oculoplastic specialist for evaluation.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Ptosis?

You may have a ptosis issue which eyedrops won't help long term.  Best of luck with further follow-up.

Thank you for your question.  I would voice your concerns to your surgeon.  If the procedure was done to remove the upper eyelid skin alone, this will not correct an issue with the underlying eyelid muscle responsible for opening your eyelid fully.  This is a different procedure which can be done at the same time as an upper eyelid lift.  Voice your concerns to your surgeon and if you do not hear answers that sound reasonable, seek a second opinion. 

Needs more time

Your doctor is trying to buy time and allow the tissues to heal by use of the iopidine drops.
More surgery may be needed to fully correct.