I Need a Mommy Makeover Just Not Sure if I Need a Mini Tummy Tuck or a Full Tt? (photo)

Need a tummy tuck?? Do I need a mini or a full? Help me!!

Do I need a "mini" or a "full" tummy tuck?

While it is not possible to fully evaluate your figure from photos alone, there are at least three things that I see which can be addressed with a mini-tuck or a full tummy tuck, depending on just how much correction you really want to see. The mini-tummy tuck will not remove ALL of your loose skin: it will tighten that portion between the navel and the pubis. Both types of tummy tuck will allow muscle tightening. Some degree of liposuction will be helpful as well to reduce the redundant adipose tissue in your flanks.When selecting a plastic surgeon to help you, be sure that he/she has plenty of experience with tummy tucks and possesses the surgical credentials to assure you that skill and experience are exceptional. Look for Board Certification as a plastic surgeon.

Norfolk Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck Options

Thank you for you question.    It is difficult to give accurate recommendation without an in office exam.  When I evaluate the abdomen, I assess:
1.  The amount of loose skin

2.  The volume of fatty tissue
3.  The degree of muscle laxity.

I evaluate this in each of 3 areas:
1.  Upper Abdomen

2.  Area around the Belly Button
3.  Lower Abdomen

MINI TUMMY TUCK: If a patient has loose skin, fatty tissue, and muscle laxity limited to the Lower Abdomen, then I recommend the mini tummy tuck.  In order to qualify for this, the patient must have good skin and muscle tone in their upper abdomen and area around the belly button.   I will frequently perform liposuction of these areas with my Mini Tummy Tuck to enhance the overall contour.

FULL TUMMY TUCK:  this is for patients who have loose skin and muscle laxity of the upper abdomen, belly button area, and lower abdomen.   This procedure tightens all 3 areas with a bikini line incision.   I often encorporate liposuction with my full tummy tuck as I feel it offers a superb end result.
EXTENDED TUMMY TUCK:  This works well for patients who have loose skin that extends over the hip bone into the flank area.   I will perform extensive liposuction and skin excision to the hip and flank area combined with full tummy tuck.

BODY LIFT/BELT LIPECTOMY:  this is essentially a 360 degree tummy tuck which involves removal of loose skin and fatty tissue of the lower back and buttocks, in addition to the extended tummy tuck.
I wish you a safe recovery and amazing result!!

Dr. Gill

Paul S. Gill, MD

I Need a Mommy Makeover Just Not Sure if I Need a Mini Tummy Tuck or a Full Tt?

You may want to consider a short scar tummy tuck, which will have the same length scar as the minitummy tuck but will remove about twice as much skin as well as allow tightening of the abdominal wall.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of tummy tucks each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Full or mini tuck?

With your tummy relaxed, if your protrusion starts at the top, a full tuck would be better.  If your laxity is primarily in the lower half of your tummy, a mini-tuck could suffice.  And some surgeons do 'extended' mini-tucks that is something in between.

Curtis Wong, MD

Based on your photos, your best results would be from a full tummy tuck, but a modified approach with full diastasis tightening and shorter mini tummy tuck scar and liposuction would be a decent alternative with a shorter scar. Usually the lesser the procedure, the lesser the result. A consultation with a reputable plastic surgeon with extensive experience in tummy tucks would give you more information. Good luck. 

Brian J. Lee, MD
Fort Wayne Plastic Surgeon

Mommy Makeover: Mini or a Full Tummy Tuck?

A mini or modified tummy tuck, with or without liposuction, as well as one of a variety of full tummy tucks that exist can produce a good cosmetic appearance in the appropriate patient. Following the advice from a surgeon or any other website who proposes to tell you what to do based on two dimensional photos without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of each operative procedure would not be in your best interest. I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

A modified abdominoplasty with a floating of the umbilicus can produce a very nice significant result in many patients. The result depends on the extent of looseness of your tissue above the umbilicus (belly button), since there is a limitation of how much tightness you can get with that procedure and still maintain a normal appearing position of the navel.

Robert Singer, MD  FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Based on the posted photos and without in person examination I would offer a short scar full TT with muscle repair. 

You have diastasis

From you lateral photo it appears that you have loosening of the abdominal muscles also known as Diastasis.  This is why your tummy bulges out.  Diastasis can only be fixed with a full tummy tuck.  This procedure will require a lower abdominal scar but in return your shape and skin tightness will be much better.  You should discuss with your plastic surgeon what your goals are with this procedure so you may be better advised as to which procedure will be best.  Below is a link to tummy tuck before and after photos that may help you understand the options

Dev Wali, MD
Claremont Plastic Surgeon

Full vs. Mini-Tummy Tuck Options

Your abdomen shows some muscle laxity but not a lot of skin excess. While a full tummy tuck may give the best result, the length and location of the scar may be a concern for you. The other option to consider is a mini-tiummy tuck with liposuction above the belly button. The flattening effect will not be quite as good as a full tummy tuck but the scar will be able to stay very low and not cross the anterior hip points.

Tummy tuck to address abdominal wall laxity

A tummy tuck will address the two aesthetic issues that you have : mild lower abdominal skin laxity and global myofascial laxity - a full tummy tuck is what I would recommend. This could be done through a relatively short, low pelvic scar.