Tummy tuck 6 months post op - flanks are back!

6 months ago I had an extended tummy tuck with lipo of the flank & back. I had some complications (blood loss required transfusion and 3 blood clots) within the first month or so, but have felt great for months. My issue is my flanks. They were completely gone after surgery, but are now big anna bulging over my pants like a muffin top. My belly is still flat though. Any thoughts? Is this my final result?

Tummy tuck results

Hello and thank you for the question.Its hard to make a determination without seeing photos of you or examining you first-hand. If your flanks were truly gone after surgery and have returned, you may have gained weight. I would recommend following up with your surgeon to review your concerns.Warmest Regards,Glenn Vallecillos, MD, FACS

Tummy tuck results

Thank you for the question. It is rather difficult to guarantee a reliable evaluation of your concern without conducting an in-person exam. Minor changes in your weight would not affect the results of your procedure; however, if you're concerned about a dramatic weight gain, it would be best to consider weight loss counseling that incorporates active physical exercise and healthy diet. It is advisable to maintain a stable weight after a tummy tuck since significant weight gain would affect the results. Since you had a liposuction, you may want to consider whether you need to correct excess skin to achieve the desirable result.  An in-person examination with a board-certified plastic surgeon would be the best way to assess your needs and obtain a reliable medical advice. Best of luck! Dr. Michael Omidi.

Michael M. Omidi, MD, FACS

Flanks are back...

If your flanks were truly gone after surgery and now those areas are full again, then you have gained weight.  More likely the areas above and below the flank area were initially swollen and obscuring the flanks.  Now that the swelling has subsided, your final result has been revealed.  However, without pre and post op pics, it is difficult to give you a definitive answer.Discuss your results and expectations with your plastic surgeon.  Good luck.

Shayne Webb, MD

Tummy tuck - flanks came back after six months!

Thank you for asking about your tummy tuck result.
  • I am so sorry you had such severe complications and really glad you are doing better now.
  • You will need to return to your surgeon to see what is going on.
  • Here are some possibilities -
  • After liposuction you have loose skin that needs to be removed with a back lift.
  • You gained weight - and it settled in the flanks.
  • You were fit before surgery but aren 't fit now - and the muscles are flabby.
  • So discuss the problem with your surgeon and see what needs to be done to get you the result you want.
Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.  Best wishes. Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS