I had a panniculectomy and abdominoplasty on 8/29, a little bit of extra skin hanging down in the middle?

The "extra skin" hangs in the middle on either side of my incision that goes up my abdomen, only slightly covers my hip to hip incision. Is this part of the healing process? I had my last drain removed on 9/13 and was instructed to wear my binder for 10 days, religiously! I've been very very good about that, only removed it to shower. I do not seem to have a "wave" that would indicate a seroma, I'm just worried. I lost 153 lbs prior to the surgery via gastric bypass.

Recovery after abdominoplasty

It is very normal to have swelling following abdominoplasty. A significant amount of swelling may persist for up to six weeks with smaller amounts to three months or more. This is frequently more pronounced in those patients who have lost significant weight since there is limited elasticity of the remaining tissues. The tissues therefore stretch more easily and completely. Provided there is no fluid wave or "waterbed effect", then there is no reason for concern. This should resolve with time and you are certainly still within the postoperative recovery period. Thank you for your question and I hope this helps.

Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Post op swelling

This is probably post-op swelling but you can't be sure without getting examined.  It could be fluid from a seroma now that the drains are out.  Swelling will take months to improve.  Follow up with your surgeon to be examined. 

Tyler C. Street, MD
Napa Plastic Surgeon