Subtle, small chin implant? Scar? Recovery time?

Hi! I am thinking about getting a small chin implant for my otherwise perfect face (kidding!) but I want to know--will my boyfriend notice? (esp if we live together?) And how long till I have to wait to go to a big event? Will I have to go on "vacation" so I can get away with it without anyone noticing (other than m looking more fabulous with no one to pin point why, lol) Thanks!

While the recovery time for a chin implant is quick, you will have swelling in your chin.  After a few days, you will still have a bit of swelling that you will notice, but most likely no one else will.   Icing will help to reduce the swelling.  The incision is performed under the chin and you will have stitches for approximately a week.  It may be a good idea to have some time away if you do not want your boyfriend to notice, as he may see the stitches.

Chin implant considerations

Your boyfriend will notice your chin implant - the incisions used for chin augmentation with an alloplastic implant include and intra-oral or sub-mental (below the chin) incision. The implant can improve chin projection, width and height when carefully selected.

Scott C. Sattler, MD, FACS

Chin implant average recovery time is 1 week

Chin implants are an amazing surgical choice to help balance a person's profile. The surgery is straightforward and has a low complication rate. The recovery is generally easy, but you will need to take approximately 1 week off of work following the procedure to recover and wait for the swelling to subside. The incision is made under the chin, and the stitches come out in 5-7 days; however, keep in mind that each person's recovery is unique. For the most natural-looking results, choose an experienced, reputable facial plastic surgeon and ask to see before and after photos of previous chin implant patients. You can also look for a clinic that has a VECTRA 3D imaging system, which simulates the expected results so that you can preview what you will look like as the result of a chin implant. They may even recommend filler instead of an implant if you're looking for just a subtle change.

Cory Torgerson, MD, PhD, FRCSC
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin implant

Hi.  Without seeing your photos, it's hard to know whether your perfect face would benefit from a chin implant. :)

If you just are looking for something subtle, you may wish to instead consider some injectable fillers for the chin area, which can give a nice boost without a major procedure.

Besides, unless boyfriend is completely clueless, he would notice your post-surgical state.

Thomas Fiala, MD

Chin implant recovery, etc.

Thank you for writing. A small, subtle chin implant can really improve the harmony of the facial features. The procedure is pretty quick and recovery is generally straightforward. That said, there is always a bit of swelling and there are bandages or tapes that are used for a few days afterward. As such, your boyfriend, and others, would notice that something had been done in the first few days afterward. You can always say that you fell and cut your chin... but in an ideal world you would tell your boyfriend, a friend, or family, so that you have someone to help you out after the procedure. Best of luck!

Evan Ransom, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin implant recovery

Thanks for posting your question.  I think chin implantation in the proper patient can easily achieve excellent results and is a rewarding procedure for both the patient and surgeon.  I use an incision under the chin which will need sutures and also use steri-strip tape around the chin like a chin strap to help with the healing.  These stay in place for a week so they would be noticeable to anyone living with you during that time period.  So please keep this in mind when planning your post op period.  For a "big event" i would try to give yourself about 4 weeks for you to show off your new look. Please consult with a board certified plastic / facial plastic surgeon to see if you are a candidate for chin implantation and ask your surgeon these specific questions and more.  Good luck!

Raymond E. Lee, MD

Chin Augmentation

Dear Just Me, Chin augmentation is done typically through two incisions one that is intra-oral (inside the mouth) or one that is sub-mental (under the chin). I personally prefer the sub-mental incision as I think the risks of infection are largely decreased with this approach. You will have some swelling in the chin area that will be noticeable for approximately 5 to 7 days and stitches under the chin as well. As far as your boyfriend noticing I am guessing if you live together "yes" unless you pull the slip and fall excuse often used. As far as a big event like a wedding etc, I think you should give yourself ample time to recover especially in the event of excess swelling or bruising. While these are typically uncommon it is possible and would hinder your privacy in the matter. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Chin implant

the recovery time for a chin implant is relatively quick with minimal downtime. Swelling can persist from days to weeks but that should not stop you from having a vacation or socializing.

Ron Hazani, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills General Surgeon

Small chin implant?

Dear just Me1111

Chin implants are a great way to bring balance to your face and enhance your other facial features.
Chin implants can be placed through an incision from the inside of your mouth or from the outside. Both are good techniques, each with their own risks and benefits. Scar location, your anatomy and implant shape needed play important roles.
In general, they can placed routinely and safely in an office setting with local anesthesia. Down-time varies but usually little bruising but noticeable swelling for 1 week.
You should see more than one consult and get to know the involved issues well. Then make an informed decision.

Afshin Parhiscar, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Chin implant candidate

In our practice,chin implants are placed through  a small sub mental incision underneath the chin. Chin implants are manufactured in a variety of sizes and shapes, and are composed of Silastic. The procedure is performed under local anesthesia as an outpatient surgical procedure. The chin has visible swelling for approximately 2 weeks. The  small sub mental incision does take some time to  heal. We do not recommend placement of the chin implants through the mouth.