Will coughing do any damage to my repair at this point out?

I have a bad cold. Im 12 weeks out from tummy tuck with muscle repair and umblical repair.

Coughing after a tummy tuck

Coughing 3 months after having a tummy tuck should be safe to do. If you feel like you are having soreness in your surgical area after having a severe coughing bout, you want to hold a pillow against your stomach for support or cough in a slightly flexed position to release extra tension from your abdomen. Feel better! 

Coughing after a tummy tuck

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Dear Penelope

At 12 weeks, your own body has made adequate scar tissue and it would be highly unusual to damage the results of your tummy tuck with coughing. Congrats on having had the procedure!!

Dear Penelope

Damage to muscle repair

Hello and thank you for reaching out. Coughing will not do any harm to the muscle repair, at 12 weeks post op. If it is uncomfortable, you can try holding a pillow against your abdomen when you cough, but do not worry that the plication will be damanged. At this point in post operative recovery, my patients are released with no restrictions. Best wishes. 

Damage to muscle repair

Your repair should be healed.

At twelve weeks, your muscles should have healed well together and fused strongly.  One cannot avoid getting sick, to at some point, coughs/sneezes will return.  Hold a pillow firmly against your belly to help you cough without discomfort if you still have pain after surgery, but don't worry too much.  While chronic coughing is associated with hernias,  your repair should be able to withstand any typical short term sickness

hope you feel better soon

Your repair should be healed.

hope you feel better soon

Coughing after Tummy Tuck

Coughing will not harm your muscle repair. It will most likely be uncomfortable, but it will cause no damage. Feel better soon!

Coughing after Tummy Tuck

Post op healing & coughing

No, it will be uncomfortable for you, but it shouldn't cause any damage to your muscle repair at this point. Sorry that you are sick. 
My best,
Dr. Sheila Nazarian
@drsheilanazarian on Instagram

Post op healing & coughing

My best,
Dr. Sheila Nazarian
@drsheilanazarian on Instagram

Coughing Following Tummy Tuck

At 12 weeks post op, the repaired muscles are essentially healed. Coughing at this point, although it may be uncomfortable, will not likely cause any damage. In my practice, I allow patients to get back to abdominal exercises at 8 weeks following their tummy tucks. Like coughing, this also relies on the muscles being healed. If you have any concerns or have  pain after coughing that doesn't go away, I would bring it to the attention of your surgeon. Best regards.

Robyn Watts, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Coughing Following Tummy Tuck

Robyn Watts, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon