Surgery time? What's included in the estimated time?

When doctors provide an estimate length for surgery, what all does that typically include. I'm very confused at why I have had two consults where I've been quoted 5-6 hours for a Mommy Makeover (tummy tuck, breast aug), and one that quoted 2.5 hours? Can this procedure really be done in 2.5 hours, and done well? Or maybe one is estimating time just in OR and not before or recovery...? Any insight would be helpful. This is too big of a difference in time for my understanding.

Mommy makeover surgical time

Thank you for your question.  2.5 hours seems very short for a mommy makeover - I'd be wary about that.  Be sure to ask specifically about operative time, anesthesia time, total time in the OR and anticipated time in the recovery. Also, be sure that you're with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.  Good luck.

An estimate length of surgery is based on the time in the operating room.  It begins when you arrive in the operating room and ends when you leave to go to the recovery room.  A mommy makeover to include a breast augmentation and tummy tuck will take longer than 2.5 hours.  Beware of physicians that under-estimate the length of time for surgery because you are likely to then have to pay more to the hospital and anesthesiologist after your surgery once adjustments of the time used have been recalculated.  Not all plastic surgeons operate in hospitals and their terms may be different.  My advice would be to ask questions.

Mommy Makeover

The estimated time is usually the operating time. Some liposuction could be involved.  Your outpatient quote should include the facility and anesthesia time. The size of a person, including the amount of skin is taken into consideration.  The surgery is faster on a small person than a larger person.  An average Mommy Makeover can take 4 to 6 hours.  

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

OR time

Good question, a breast augmentation and TT would take most plastic surgeons approximately 3 hours, if the mommy makeover includes a lift also- the procedure would push into the 5-6 hour mark. A breast augmentation and Tummy tuck can be done in 2.5hrs and done well depending on if they are performing lipo, how big/small you are, ect. It can also take 5-6 hours is there is a lift involved.

Length of time for mommy makeover

As you can surmise from the doctor answers below, a mommy makover can describe several different variations of surgery on the breast and abdomen. There is very little variation between EXPERIENCED plastic surgeons as to how long it takes to perform an operation. So, when one surgeon tells you that it will take him 5 hours and another surgeon tells you that it will take him 3 hours, you are not getting the same surgery from these two surgeons. You want to compare apples-to-apples and not apples-to-oranges. What is important to you is that you receive the best surgery for you, regardless of how much time it takes.

Sheldon Lincenberg, MD

You need more specific information

Since Mommy Makeover is any combination of a liposuction of the body (about 2 hours) or tummy tuck (1.5 to 2 hours) with an operation on the breasts (30 minutes for an aug, 1-2 hours for a lift), this combination can range from 2.5 to 4 hours.  That is surgeon operating time.  The anesthesia adds 1 to 1.5 hours.  Positioning can add 30 minutes.  Some doctors are slow (not good).  Some doctors are estimating total room time (adds 2 hours).  Some estimate their time.  You need specifics. Tummy tuck breast aug for me could be 2 to 3 hours (at most) surgeon time. Before surgery is 2 hours, after surgery is 1 hour, anesthesia room time is 1 to 2 hours.

Estimated Time for Mommy Makeover Procedures

The mommy makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, #breastreduction.Combined operations are often performed with our Gynecology colleagues. Tubal ligation is a common post pregnancy procedure which is done at the time of many of the surgeries noted above. If you require a gynecologic operation or study (laparoscopy) and are considering a plastic surgery procedure, discuss these issues with your doctor. Combining these procedures decreases anesthetics, costs, and recovery time.The best thing to do would be to compare the quotes received in various consultations, as each surgeon will likely have different estimates of time and cost for your desired procedures. Best of luck to you!

Operative time

Your fee will typically include anesthesia, facility and surgeon's fee. The surgeon's fee is typically based on time although some institutions may calculate this differently. The time quoted can depend on the technique used, the efficiency of the operator (is it possible more than one surgeon is operating?), and how much surgery needs to be done. I suggest you inquire more on what techniques will be performed to understand the operative time.

Kiran Polavarapu, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

Greetings Thank you for your question, 2 - 3 hours seem short for the surgeries. Tummy Tuck and Breast Augmentation, operation is performed under general anesthesia and it takes to perform the procedure nearly 4-5 hours when performed by a team of plastic surgeons. It is really important to decrease the operation duration to give less anesthesia to the patient yielding a better postoperative period to the patient. You will be advised not to eat 6 hours before the surgery and that is all! You will get a physical examination by your surgeon and anesthetist. After the examination; we will prepare you for the surgery. You will receive a sedation in order to reduce the preoperative anxiety and fell yourself more comfortable.

Mommy makeover

Two and a half hours seems too short for this kind of surgery.  A typical tummy tuck takes 3 hours and a breast lift can take 2 hours.  You do not want to have a rushed surgeon operating on you.  Best wishes, Dr. T.