Strange tissues in vagina? (photo)

I have always had tissue coming out of my vagina. I always thought it was normal but after looking at diagrams I have not found out what it is and it doesn't look show on any diagrams. Please help! Is this normal?

Candidate for Vaginal Rejuvenation

Women have a wide range of normal  color, texture, size and asymmetries of their genitilia. This is true of the Vulva and all of its parts, the same as other parts of the body. Candidates for #labiaplasty and #vaginal surgery include women concerned about the appearance of their genitals , or those who experience discomfort, pain or difficulty with sexual relations.  Moisture can create problems such as yeast infections. More specific problems are noted below in each section. These problems may exist at birth or with growth and development. They can occur with childbirth or other trauma to the region. All of these issues can cause a woman great emotional distress that is often difficult to talk about with their partner, friends and even their doctor.

Hymenal remanent!

You are normal!  The tissue you are seeing is a hymenal remanent. If it is not bothering you, leave it alone.  But if you are uncomfortable or conscious about it, then see your gynecologist to have it removed.

Most likely a hymenal ring remnant

Thank you for sharing.  This is actually quite common and something that can easily be removed if you so desire.I would first and foremost see your gynecologist for a proper evaluation and diagnosis.  If it is a remnant tag of the hymenal ring then this is easily removed in the office under local anesthesia. Best of luck to you.

This looks like a benign remnant of either the hymenal ring or even an incomplete septum. Further exam and evaluation would be necessary to ID it better. Occasionally women will complain of pain with intercourse due to this. Get it checked out if it bothers you.

Robert L. True, MD
Grapevine OB/GYN

Skin tag?

This is either a hymenal remnant as others have said, or a squamous papilloma (aberrant skin tag) which should be removed if it bothers you. The papilloma will get bigger.

The strange tissue coming out of your vagina is a hymenal tag

When the hymen breaks, it splits into small skin tags of different shapes and sizes. Yours split into a long thin tag. It's harmless and normal, but you can have it removed in the office in a few minutes if you wish.

Dear KSNthanks for sharing.  What you are seeing are hymenal caruncles or remnants of the hymenal ring.  They can be removed in office doing a simple surgical removal/excision. 
John R Miklos MDUrogynecologist & Cosmetic Vaginal Surgeon

Hymenal remnant is normal, but can be excised

Hello KSN,I understand your anxiety about the protruding tissue since it looks very strange to anyone who doesn't look at vaginas for a living. This is a protruding hymenal remnant that can be easily excised in the office under local anesthesia. It is very common to have these and many women who dislike them choose to have it excised either for aesthetic reasons or because they may experience soreness during or after sex.Go to your gynecologist and ask to have it excised as an in-office procedure...takes less than 5 minutes. If they refuse or make a big deal about it, such as insisting on having it done in a hospital, then you should find someone who's more experienced with this.Best of luck,

Oscar A. Aguirre, MD
Denver Urogynecologist

Strange tissues in vagina?

Thank you for sharing your question and photograph.  It appears that your extra tissue is a remnant of your hymenal ring.  Though perfectly normal, if it causes you concern it can be removed with a small in-office procedure.  Hope this helps.