I should see some results of Lipo by month 3 right? (Photo)

I got smart Lipo 3 months ago & not seen a single ounce of reduction. My surgeon is CONVINCED that I've gotten smaller but none of my friends/family have noticed a difference. I was told that I'd see results by now but that's not the case! The only thing I have to show for this surgery is a bill, a few scars, & a bruised ego. This pic was taken at a dance audition, which I was asked to come back next year...after I tone my mid-section:/

VASER Hi Definition Liposuction / Body Contouring with Fat Grafting

I suggest a formal consultation with a VASER hi def contouring physician.  This type of procedure shows results almost immediately.  Vanquish and cellutone treatments can be performed at this time to give improvement on top of your previous procedure if you will not consider an alternative surgical approach.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Lack of results for three months

I three months you can consider your results very close to final. You should not anticipate much change from here on. There are two factors that are decisive and delivering high-quality outcomes and I patient satisfaction with liposuction. The first and most obvious it's a competency  of the dr., hopefully a board-certified plastic surgeon. Secondly his patient selection. Some people are not good candidates for liposuction. For someone who is not a good candidate great results will never be achievable. Liposuction is somewhat unique in that a substantial number of people who seek this treatment on not good candidates for liposuction. There's also a wide variety of talent and providers doing liposuction. Best, Mats Hagstrom M.D.

Mats Hagstrom, MD

I should see some results of Lipo by month 3 right?

Thank you for your questions. Eventhough swelling may last unto 6 months sometimes, you should see results bu this time. Please talk to your PS

Liposuction - Post Op Swelling

Thank you for your question. While swelling will slowly subside three - six months following your procedure, you should see some improvement by now. You may wear a compression garment if you feel it helps. Please discuss your concerns with your board certified plastic surgeon. Hope this helps and good luck with your recovery.

Post op Lipo

Hi and thanks for the question and photos. It takes approximately 4 months to see the results of liposuction. However, you should see a significant difference by 3 months. You might want to consider being reevaluated by your surgeon or go for a second opinion. Best of Luck - Dr Hardy

James E. Hardy, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for sharing your question and photograph and I am sorry that your results have not been what you anticipated.  Without preoperative photographs or measurements it is hard to offer a definite opinion as to any improvement, but you should be seeing results 3 months after liposuction.  I would recommend voicing your concerns to your surgeon and if little attempt is made to objectively demonstrate changes, seek a second opinion.  best wishes

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. This is the surgical procedure that revolutionized cosmetic surgery becoming one of the most performed cosmetic procedures. Subcutaneous tissue or fat is removed in order to contour the body in a way that is harmonious and pleasing to the senses. It can be performed in almost all regions of the body such as the neck, chin, abdomen, back, buttocks, thighs, arms and ankles. Usually done through a small incision in the skin through which a cannula connected to a vacuum is applied, it can be performed alone or in combination with other procedures. After liposuction your body is going to be really swollen for at least 2 to 4 months after your surgery. It is important for you to wear your compression garment for at least 6 months, the first 3 months 24/7 and then the last 3 months at least 12 hours per day for your body get use to not having the faja for so many time. When you remove it, your body can get swollen and also you can have pain. Remember to also compress your body to prevent a seroma which is an accumulation of liquid that has to be drained, it is hard to touch and also really painful. Bruises are completely normal for almost 3 months from surgery, that’s why is better for you to use a bruising cream and apply it all over your body 3 times a day. To prevent bad circulation and swollen legs, use compression socks. Brazilian butt lift can be performed with the same procedure and for a month it will be swollen and it will drop a little bit without losing it’s shape if you use your garment.. If you’re going to perform liposuction on your inner, outer, anterior, lateral, postetior thighs, be careful and consult with your surgeon what’s best for you, sometimes we have more extra skin than fat, that can cause severe sagginess on our legs, which can be only be reversed performing a thigh lift!

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Liposuction results at three months

You should see results of your procedure at 3 months. Do you have the before photos? How much volume was removed? I routinely photograph liposuction specimens and include them in the patient's chart. Was this done by a board certified plastic surgeon? If not, see one for consultation. Best, Dr. Yegiyants 

Sara Yegiyants, MD, FACS
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction - no results at 3 months

Thank you for asking about your liposuction.
  • This sounds quite frustrating and I am sorry you are going through this.
  • First, have you and your surgeon compared your before/after photos to see the difference?
  • Second, was Smart Lipo done to 'shrink skin?
  • If so, it isn't very effective and your photo suggests you have loose skin.
  • Have you had children or lost a lot of weight? 
  • If so, a tummy tuck with skin removal and muscle repair may be needed.
  • But first  wait 3 more months to let more swelling subside, check in with your surgeon again and if you still aren't pleased, get a second opinion.
  • If your surgeon was not a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, you definitely need to see one then.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS