Is hyperpigmentation and Melasma the same thing? (photos)

After returning home from vacation in March 2015 I went to my family Dr regarding dry patch on forehead I tried using cream which wasn't working well and started to panic so I used a towel and exfoliating cream and continuous rubbed spot until it became red and very irritated at that point I left it alone in February 2016 after vacation I noticed that area looked a bit darker again family Dr says hyper pigmentation dermatologist says melasma. Did I cause melasma by irrating area

Melasma vs hyper pigmentation

Hard to give an accurate answer without a close up examination and further history taking. I am leaning towards hyperpigmenation rather than melasma. Treatment is very similar, the mainstay is strict sun protection. 

I prefer to use a combination of creams and laser for melasma- PIH. Hydroquinone can be used (5-8%), along with vitamin A creams. I usually start my patients on laser (low dose Q switch or Picosure) a few weeks after they commence on creams.

In some cases I combine glycolic AHA peels. 

More information on available treatments in the Web Reference below.

Dr Davin Lim
Laser, surgical and aesthetic dermatologist
Brisbane, Australia

Hyperpigmentation versus Melasma - NYC

Without an in person consultation it is impossible to give you a definitive answer.  However, from the account of the story and your photo it looks more like hyperpigmentaion.  Please consult a board certified dermatologist who has experience with cosmetic procedures for the best treatment options.  Best, Dr. Green