Growth under nose for 2 years. Finally had it biopsied; basal cell carcinoma. What'll happen if I don't have Moh's surgery?

what will happen if i dont have the Moh's surgery, since i have had it for a while? but i did notice a new bump under eye side of nose

Mohs Surgery

Thank you
for your question. I’m sorry to hear that you were recently diagnosed with skin
cancer. Fortunately, Basal Cell Carcinoma is a slow growing skin cancer so the
risk of it spreading to other areas of the body is small. However, this is
still a skin cancer so it will continue to grow locally. The longer it goes
untreated, the larger it will become. This can potentially lead to
disfigurement. It would be best to have this treated sooner rather than later.
Be sure that you consult with a board certified dermatologist and Mohs surgeon.
They may be able to recommend alternative treatment options if you are hesitant
about having surgery.

Basal cell carcinoma treatment

I am sorry to hear about your recently diagnosed skin cancer.  While I certainly understand your apprehension about having it surgically removed, it is important to remember that this is still a cancer and will continue to grow and invade surrounding structures.  The sooner this lesion is treated, the smaller the defect will be, and simpler to reconstruct.  I would also recommend having any new skin lesions or bumps evaluated by your physician to catch any further cancers as early as possible.  

John Harbison, MD
Omaha Facial Plastic Surgeon

What happens if I leave a basal cell carcinoma?

Basal Cell carcinomas (BCC) are usually slow growing, locally destructive skincancers, which are not fatal, but invades local tissues, so you can lose an eye if you leave a BCC untreated near an eye.

You need to have it treated whether with surgery or radiotherapy, but you need to have it treated. Some BCCs can be treated with PhotoDynamic Therapy and some creams.
Go and see a Dermatologist for the non-surgical options and a plastic surgeon for the surgical ones, but get it treated now, when it is small!

Basal cell carcinoma and treatment options

Sorry to hear about your skin cancer. Basal cell carcinoma is usually not a life threatening cancer BUT it is still a cancer and if you leave it untreated, it will continue to grow and grow and what can today likely be taken care of with Mohs surgery and some stitching in an office may need to be treated with a more disfiguring surgery and outcome if you let it grow to a much larger size. Mohs surgery by a member of the American College of Mohs Surgery is the most apporpriate treatment and the gold standard for the majority of basal cell cancers on the face.

Omar Ibrahimi, MD, PhD
Stamford Dermatologic Surgeon