Car accident a month after breast lift and augmentation. Should I be concerned?

I've had a breast lift and augmentation 4 weeks ago. I'm still in pain. I had a car accident 2 days ago and I feel like my breast are even more swollen. Should I be concerned? Back taking my Valium as it calms my pain.

Car accident

Sorry to hear about your car accident.  If you still have breast pain and swelling, you should get it evaluated by your surgeon.  A breast ultrasound can be used to check the implant, and to rule out bleeding or fluid inside the breast.  

Breast swelling after a motor vehicle accident

Things are probably okay and will settle down over time, but you should definitely be evaluated by your plastic surgeon to make sure there is no intervention needed at this time.

Ira H. Rex lll, MD
Fall River Plastic Surgeon

Car accident one month after augmentation mastopexy

Dear vcorrea,
What an unfortunate turn of events! If you did not bleed around your implants (develop a hematoma) at the time of the accident or have any incisions split you were likely spared the worst things that could have happened from the accident. The swelling from a hematoma would be tense and you should see significant new bruising. If you have not already seen your surgeon I definitely would so that they can assess you for any problems and be sure your healing is on track. I would sure expect you to still be sore from the accident even if nothing happened to your surgical site from just the rapid deceleration's effect on your chest muscles.
I hope you continue to heal well and stay safe.

Stacey Folk, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

I'm sorry to hear of your accident, but glad you're here to ask the questions you now reasonably ask.

Since healing is not complete at one month post-op, and because of your description of swelling, you should schedule a consultation with your plastic surgeon as soon as reasonably possible. Though your implants are almost certainly NOT damaged, your tissues have not completely healed, and at one months post-op, bleeding would be unusual though still possible. But by your description, this sounds more like post-traumatic swelling that is not a true hematoma.

Valium will help muscle spasm and anxiety, but you should take this only by prescription rather than self-prescribe. Talk with your surgeon about this.

I suspect all will be fine from the standpoint of your breasts, but without an examination or even photographs, none of here can reassure you with any degree of certitude, so go see your surgeon. BTW, if you were to obtain an MRI, it will incorrectly be read as "bilateral or unilateral implant rupture"  21% of the time, so rely on your plastic surgeon's examination, not an MRI scan report. Best wishes, and keep wearing your seat belt! Dr. Tholen

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon