3 months post op, I still feel puffy, pointy, and have fullness in my chest. Is this normal? (photos)

I'm 3 months post op and I still feel as if I'm puffy, pointy, and have fullness in my chest. My doctor tells me that he won't consider any revision until 9months. Please be honest. How possible is it that my pointy look will become flat within the next 6months? Please let me know this is making me so depressed and feeling down. I still can't even wear a plain t shirt without feeling self conscious. Please let me know what you guys think. Thank you soo much I appreciate it soo much!

If after 6-9 months of treatment you still have puffy nipples, its possible that you have residual tissue that needs direct excision. Seek a plastic surgeon with specialty training in #gynecomastia surgery, has great photos, and is an expert in male breast reduction.

Beverly Hills General Surgeon

Still Puffy After 3 Months Post Op

It may take up to one year to see your final results. So, you must be patient. Nor is not uncommon for each breast heal at a different pace from one another. It is very possible that the puffiness you describe is #swelling. A collection of fluid under the skin occurs occasionally during the postoperative period. Aspiration of the fluid with a needle is frequently helpful. Secondary surgery is rarely necessary.

Also, bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. 

Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin.  If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

Difficult question

Hard tell without a preop but if you are dissatisfied at this point, I suspect any residual fullness won't go away a whole lot. I generally would wait longer before revising- nothing magic about 9 months but at least 6 months. I see a lot of men who aren't satisfied until they are really flat. The risk is depressions in the breast with overresection.

Glenn Lyle, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon