I've had acne for about 6 years. I used home remedies to cure it but there are still many scars. Can scars be removed? (photos)

i really want to consult a dermatologist but i'm shy. i want to ask if i can undergo a dermabrassion process even if there are many pimples and acne scars in my face. your answer will really help me a lot. thank yo very much.

Thank you for your question. Dermabrasion is a controlled surgical scraping of the skin's top layers to help soften sharp edges and to correct any irregularities. Both dermabrasion and chemical peel are effective options in removing acne scarring, although, dermabrasion is curently most often used to improve scars after prior reconstructive procedures. I suggest that you consult with a single or double board certified facial plastic surgeon to determine which approach is most suitable for you.Best wishes,

Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Acne scarring

Thank you for your question.The first step is getting the acne under control. Once that is under control and you aren't having the breakouts, you could do dermabrasion. The dermabrasion will help to smooth the skin, you will always have some irregularity to the skin but it will be much improved. Good luck.

Francis Johns, MD
Greensburg Plastic Surgeon

I've had acne for about 6 years. I used home remedies to cure it but there are still many scars. Can scars be removed?

Acne scars can be much improved with dermabrasion, but not necessarily completely removed. See a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon for an honest evaluation of the improvement you may expect. That said, it is a wonderful means of improving your facial appearance. Best of luck.

Richard Zienowicz, MD
Providence Plastic Surgeon

Dermabrasion and acne

You nee to see one or two dermatologists to get an idea of what is  needed.   You need to get your acne in a quiescent state.     Then dermabrasion can really help. My Best,   Dr Commons