Is this gynecomastia or just fat chest? (Photos)

Gyno or Chest Fat

Doctor Answers 4

You will benefit from Gynecomastia Correction

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Hi. It is a grade 2 Gynecomastia. You can get rid of it surgically. Unfortunately there are no surgical options. Please watch the links for further guidance in this regard. 

Is this male chest fat?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thanks for your question on male chest contouring. I suggest an in person consultation and examination by a board certified plastic surgeon. The surgeon can examine you and determine if there is a medical or developmental reason for your chest issues. Then, it can be determined if a  procedure is appropriate for you. Based on your photos, weight loss, muscle conditioning and likely some chest contouring would yield a great result. The surgeon might recommend liposuction as well as a direct excision of breast tissue if he or she finds some breast tissue on your exam. I wish you all the best with your treatment. I hope this was helpful.

Is this gynecomastia or just fat chest?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for the question and pictures. Accurate diagnosis would necessitate physical examination. It IS important to differentiate gynecomastia ( excess breast tissue) from lipomastia ( otherwise known as pseudo-gynecomastia or excess adipose tissue of chest wall). Treatment will differ depending on diagnosis. In most cases, gynecomastia is treated with resection of the excess breast tissue; peripheral chest liposuction may also be helpful. My best suggestion: get into the "shape" you want to be physically. Then if your chest wall is still of concern, seek consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience achieving the types of outcomes you will be pleased with. You may find the attached link helpful to you as you learn more. Best wishes.

Gynecomastia or Chest Fat

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
There is always the possibility that you do have both and that previous hormone changes have affected gynecomastia, and that as you have gained weight during certain periods of life you may have added chest fat as well. There is no real way to determine one from the other in these pictures, and a surgical consultation would be best. But you would likely be looking at the dual procedure mentioned by the other doctor: Liposuction and Excision Combination – The doctor will recommend this procedure which combines the liposuction technique and excision technique to create a natural look. Results and Recovery Visible results are immediate. Patients are given specific instructions for the recovery period. Dressings and bandages will be applied to incisions and a support garment will be used to support the new chest contour and minimize swelling. At times, a thin small tube will be placed under the skin in order to drain fluid and blood that may collect. The results are usually permanent. On occasion the condition may return and treatment will need to be repeated.

Jed H. Horowitz, MD, FACS
Orange County Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 116 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.