Had Botox last October 2014, no lines or wrinkles yet, but I can raise my eyebrows. Do I need retouch, or will I look frozen?

Botox and Repeat Intervals

Botox is a fabulous injection and lasts approximately four months.  Over time many of my patients last close to 6 months once the muscles are relaxed from the Botox and the wrinkles are "trained" not to frown.  I would suggest you return to your dermatologist after 4 months to evaluate. Some movement is natural after Botox and you don't want to look too frozen. I use a technique of injecting "baby" Botox into these areas to get a natural and long lasting result.

Achieving reduction of dynamic rhytids while looking natural with Botox

3-4 months is the typical interval between treatments, so if your last treatment was Oct 2014 then it's probably about time to get another Botox treatment.  Looking frozen relates more to the injection technique than it does the frequency between injections - so with a qualified physician you can expect excellent results.  

Donald B. Yoo, MD

Botox results and duration

Botox typically lasts 3-4 months, although some patients find it can last 5-6 months, particularly if they regularly receive treatments. You may be developing some movement at 2-ish months, and thats okay and natural looking. Some people want certain areas really frozen or not moving, and usually a higher dose injected properly by your dermatologist is all that is needed.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Right time for Botox

Great question.  The results from Botox last 3-4 months and I recommend most patients to make their appointment every three months so the area is treated before full return of the muscle movement.  This way, you may prevent any lines from forming in the future. Best of Luck. 

When is the right time for additional Botox?

Hi Catherine. The effects of Botox usually last from 3-4 months. However, starting around the 2 month mark you may start to see the muscle function slowly returning in the treated area. It is best not to let the Botox totally fade away before you get treated. The timing sounds right, but the best thing to do is to return to see your injector who can decide if its time for you to get more Botox. Best of luck.

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon

When to get Botox

Most people don't like to wait until they fully return to baseline, which takes about 4-6 months to occur. Thus, most people opt to be treated again once they can start to move a majority of muscles. At this point in time you are about 3 months or so out from your initial treatment so it would be fine to be retreated soon.

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

You can have another treatment soon

You can probably have your treatment performed soon, as treatments are usually spaced about 3-4 months apart.

Botox

The timing of the next treatment will depend on what you will tolerate for a look.  Some people prefer the frozen look, which would mean its time to treat.  If you want a more natural look wait until the lines reappear.